VMware Communities
rgdn
Contributor
Contributor

"start pxe over ipv4" or "No operating system" errors - Macbook air M1

I downloaded the Vmware Fusion Tech Preview and the ISO from Microsoft (Windows 11).

Configured correctly following the protocols for this combo of variables.
I always get to this screen "start pxe over ipv4", after a few seconds "start pxe over ipv6", and eventually it goes into the BIOS.

I tried creating new Virtual Machines from scratch, reinstalling VMware Fusion, tried using different ISO files, nothing works.

When I go to the BIOS and disable 'boot from the network' options then I get an error "No operating system was found, check your Startup Disk...)

My current hypothesis is that, for some reason, VMware cannot read or find the ISO file.
And I tried a couple different files and the error is so quick that, imo, VMware does not even look for the file or cannot find it for some reason, no matter which file I select.
It always ends up on the same error screen.

Any tips?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
calin112
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue even with the latest built 20191287 using Other Linux 5.x OS on a Apple M1 Max with 64GB

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@calin112 can you be more specific about “same issue”? In particular what build of what operating system are we dealing with here?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
rossbotha
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same when trying to install Dragon OS.

I have got Kali Linux to work on VMWare

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

DragonOS Focal is an Intel x64 architecture distribution. Its installation ISO will never boot and run on an Apple Silicon Mac under Fusion because Apple Silicon is not an Intel architecture CPU chip. That's why you're ending up at a PXE boot.

(and before you say anything about Rosetta, Rosetta does not work to virtualize Intel operating systems on Apple Silicon.)

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Nemo4
Contributor
Contributor

Its already set to that for me...

0 Kudos
bmarci
Contributor
Contributor

For me, the solution was to choose Use an existing virtual disk, and browse for my vmdk file. 

This video helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srOty2jflF4

0 Kudos