VMware Communities
mibosshard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

macOS Ventura unable to add TPM

running VMware Fusion Tech Preview on Mac mini M1 (macOS Ventura Beta 8). while trying to add a TPM device I'm seeing an error. when tring to boot the Windows guest I'm getting "Virtual TPM initialisation failed.". am I the only one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This has been noted here in the forum and in the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide.

Do you have Rosetta 2 installed in your Ventura VM? There's a known issue where VMware mistakenly shipped the TP with only an Intel version of the internal component that implements the TPM device. If there's no Rosetta installed, that component won't run and the TPM will fail to initialize with that error message. 

Install Rosetta 2 via: the Terminal command:

softwareupdate --install-rosetta

and try the install again.

VMware states this will be fixed in the next Fusion version when it ships.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This has been noted here in the forum and in the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide.

Do you have Rosetta 2 installed in your Ventura VM? There's a known issue where VMware mistakenly shipped the TP with only an Intel version of the internal component that implements the TPM device. If there's no Rosetta installed, that component won't run and the TPM will fail to initialize with that error message. 

Install Rosetta 2 via: the Terminal command:

softwareupdate --install-rosetta

and try the install again.

VMware states this will be fixed in the next Fusion version when it ships.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
mibosshard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you, this did the trick! of course I have Rosetta 2 installed on my main system (macOS Monterey). I today did a fresh restore of Ventura Beta 8 onto my lab/testing Mac mini and that's why I never encontered this error before. thanks again!

0 Kudos