VMware Communities
mattyv5
Contributor
Contributor

error KB-84273.

Hello i'm on an apple m1 and i've downloaded the preview for M1 based macs but when i try to open a virtual machine i get error KB-84273. This is my first time working with a vm so i'm kinda clueless to be honest.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can’t run VMs that were created with Fusion on an Intel processor.

You have to build new VMs for OSes that can run on an ARM processor.

Download the Testing Guide document on this page: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/ct-p/3022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
FarrukhZub
Contributor
Contributor

So, we have to install windows and software from scratch to new VM, or there is a way to convert Intel based VM to run on Mac M1 Pro based processor.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There is absolutely no way to ever run an intel virtual machine on an ARM based mac.  If you have to be able to run intel guests, then you should stick with an intel mac or change to a native windows or linux intel machine.  Note that boot camp isn't an option either.  You can't put unleaded gas in a diesel engine.

Windows 11 for ARM is not supported on the preview release on M1 macs because Microsoft won't license it.  Many people here have gotten it to work, but there are significant limitations as there are no VMWare tools.

Windows 11 ARM does have an x86/64 CPU emulation layer, but it's not perfect (not as good as rosetta) and depending on the workload may or may not work properly or fast.

0 Kudos
dougpopovich
Contributor
Contributor

So how can I get a windows 10 machine on my M1 mac?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Microsoft is no longer making the Windows 10 for ARM Insider Preview available, They only have Windows 11 for ARM preview releases.Use that one if you are looking to run on a M1 processor. 
You need the preview releases because Windows for ARM is not supported by Microsoft or sold for M1 processors or to anyone but OEMs at this time. That makes it very difficult for consumers to find an install ISO. And it’s a hack to get it running if you do. 
As @ColoradoMarmot says, Windows 10 that runs on Intel/AMD cpus will never run under hypervisors on M1 Macs. It’s possible they may run on a Intel CPU emulator such as QEMU or UTM but performance or available features may not be acceptable. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
brainee50
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I'm getting the error KB described, but it's from an import of a Parallels VM that is a Windows 11 ARM install. This is not an x86 VM, as many others have mentioned here. Can it not support an ARM install from Parallels, or do I need to redo the VM for Fusion?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Import of Parallels virtual machines of any kind (x86 or ARM) is not currently supported with the Tech Preview. Neither is import of .ova/.ovf formats so you will need to reinstall the VM from scratch. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd wait to do it until the hinted-at June release.  If we're lucky (fingers crossed), we might get real support.

brainee50
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update. It looks like I'll just need to do a rebuild on Fusion, since I'm under a testing time constraint. 

Thanks for confirming. 

0 Kudos
brainee50
Contributor
Contributor

I'll be excited for the June update to see if that's put in. Thanks

0 Kudos