VMware Communities
flexyneat
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Recovery Error

Hi,

I successfully followed the guide and was able to install windows 11 Arm on my MacBook air (m1), everything worked fine yesterday on the VM, I got the Microsoft store working and installed the vmtools via PowerShell and then powered down the VM when I was done.

But this morning, when I launched VMware Fusion, I noticed there was a lock icon next to the windows VM, but the time I powered on the VM, I got the blue screen of death error below. Wondering if anyone has experienced this and has a fix

Image 2022-08-11 at 08.41.34.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Was it possible to enter windows in safe mode?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
flexyneat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

None of the options actually work, except using ESC to go to firmware/BIOS screen

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What build of Windows 11 ARM did you install?

This is a stupid question, I know... but... Did you type fn-F1 or fn-F8 (need the fn key on Apple keyboards)?

Have you tried booting the installation ISO and attempting a repair from there?

As you shut down the VM, did Windows install an update?

Just to double check: I'm assuming the VM is encrypted, the Trusted Platform Module device exists in your VM's Settings, and you have UEFI Secure Boot enabled?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
flexyneat
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I used the Fn+F1/F8 no dice.

nah, I haven't tried repairing from iso, but I deleted the VM, and re-installed windows 11 again; everything was successful multiple reboots came back ok, and everything worked fine until I powered off the VM and quit VMWare fusion, then launched vmware fusion and tried to start the windows VM and got the same recovery error.

No updates got installed when I shut down the VM, I even checked for updates but none was found

Yes the VM was encrypted and TPM shows up in the settings

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Something is very wonky here.

You wouldn't happen to have any antivirus software running on your Mac, do you?

What Windows 11 build did you install? I I'm running the 22000.856 retail build from uupdump.net. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
flexyneat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm running OS Build 22598.1 downloaded from Microsoft Insiders Website. Anyways, I deleted the vm and recreated it yesterday, installed updates and the Microsoft store and it appears to be fine.

I've made multiple reboots, shutdowns also installed available updates, and quit VMware fusion (this is what would trigger the recovery issue previously) but it all seems fine now.

I'll watch it for another 24hrs and report back. Thanks so much for your help

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you have had success getting it going. I just installed the 22598 Beta Channel Insider Preview with encryption. TPM, and Secure Boot. No issues here as well.

I had a little strange behavior installing the 22622.575 Insider Preview Beta Channel ISO where it threw a blue screen after reboot. Booting to safe mode, then restarting seemed to make that go away.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
pviljaka
Contributor
Contributor

Hey. I got the same problem. This happened to me after first installation and vmware reboot. Re-installation of the Win11 worked for a few day or so which is weird, cause i used the same media and installation process. Now, day later the same error it happened again randomly and its stuck on that permanently. Will not be bothered to re-install third time until this is fixed. Very weird?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

While I did see them in the Insider Preview beta channel VHDX, I've not seen these issues in my "regularly running" Windows 11. I built it from scratch using the latest Retail Build 22000.856 ISO available from uupdump.net. It's been very stable for me.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's how I built mine as well.  I wonder if the vhdx is has issues at the moment - seeing a lot of challenges getting it working.

0 Kudos
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was suddenly presented with the same problem this morning after several days of use, including the installation of Windows updates (Windows 11 x64 ARM Enterprise Release 22621.317.220719-1658).

I tried to repair the Windows VM from the original ISO installation image without luck.

I'd noted whenever launching VMware Fusion I received notification from macOS that login items had been added, but they disappeared after closing the program and re-added upon relaunch.  Also, after shutting down the Windows 11 VM it was recommended that I clean up the hard drive, with a significant amount of disk space being saved.  

0 Kudos
flexyneat
Contributor
Contributor

After 2weeks of ignoring the problem, I powered up my windows 11 VM and was hit with the recovery error again. 

Then I enabled/granted Full Disk Access to the VMWare fusion application, and since then my windows 11 boots up pretty quick. Can you guys try that and see if it works for you?

0 Kudos
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I'd already had VMware configured for Full Disk Access in macOS.

I've just deleted my Windows 11 VM and created a new one with the same ISO and will keep an eye on it before I go forward with personalisation or the installation of additional applications.

One question : How do I set the display resolution to 1512 x 982 (default for the MacBook Pro 14")?   

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@flexyneat 

Fusion does not need full disk access, it only needs Files and Folders access to the locations where you're storing virtual machines. You've got something else going on if you have to add full disk access to get it to work.

@Geoffrey84 In the Tech Preview, you can only set the Windows 11 resolution within the VM. If the resolution isn't there, pick something close. (or you might have to figure out how to hack for a non-standard resolution).

It's also strange that you have login items being added. I've never seen that in the almost 1 year of running the Tech Preview. The only thing in the new Tech Preview is that it's now showing the VMware Applications menu in the menubar (can be turned off in Fusion preferences).

Stupid question #1 : do you have any AV utility scanning the file system where the VMs are located (if you do, stop it!)

And Stupid question #2: are the VMs stored in a folder that's under control of a cloud file sync utility - for example OneDrive, DropBox or iCloud Drive. If so, move it elsewhere.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

And stupid question #3: How are you shutting down your Windows VM?

I say that because there are no VMware tools to gracefully ask Windows to shut down in the Tech Preview release. Therefore you should shut the VM down from within the guest. Any other mechanism could be considered a crash - like pulling the plug on a physical machine.

I've just installed the Windows 11 22H2 Release Preview channel build 22621.317 and it got updated to 22621.382. I'll keep watch of it and see if anything funny starts to happen.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stupid question #1 : do you have any AV utility scanning the file system where the VMs are located (if you do, stop it!)

No

And Stupid question #2: are the VMs stored in a folder that's under control of a cloud file sync utility - for example OneDrive, DropBox or iCloud Drive. If so, move it elsewhere.

No

And stupid question #3: How are you shutting down your Windows VM?

When I checked VMware Fusion Preferences, the default option for "When closing a virtual machine" was "Suspend".  I changed this setting to "Shut Down" and hope that will help.

Whenever I launch the VMware Fusion application, up to 5 PLIST files are copied to /Library/LaunchDaemons but they all disappear upon restarting.  I tried to make each of these "Read Only" ("Locked") but they were still removed and then restored when reopening the application.  Perhaps the fact that I'm currently running VMware Fusion in macOS Ventura Beta 6 has something to do with this irregularity.

Another mistake I might have made was replacing the virtual machine with a backup file whenever I ran into problems with the Windows 11 x64 ARM system I was currently using, which sometimes resulted in a prompt to enter my TPM password when starting the VM.

I tried adding a custom display resolution of 1512x982 using the CRU V1.5.1 utility but without success.  Still haven't found a solution so I'm running the Windows 11 VM when connected to my external display as much as possible.

So far the Windows 11 VM I installed yesterday is holding up and I'll let you know if anything happens.  

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Geoffrey84 wrote:

Whenever I launch the VMware Fusion application, up to 5 PLIST files are copied to /Library/LaunchDaemons but they all disappear upon restarting.  I tried to make each of these "Read Only" ("Locked") but they were still removed and then restored when reopening the application.  Perhaps the fact that I'm currently running VMware Fusion in macOS Ventura Beta 6 has something to do with this irregularity.

Interesting find. Never noticed that because I wasn't looking for it.

Yes, indeed Fusion does create entries in /Library/LaunchDaemons when you invoke it, and it's not just an artifact of Ventura (I'm running Monterey).

Fusion has for as long as I can remember dynamically loaded components that it needed. In the past that involved kernel extensions. My thought is that a similar mechanisms is used to dynamically load the system extensions that Fusion now uses. Which appears to be to move things into the areas that launchd looks for and then rely on launchd to start the required components. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos