VMware Communities
JohnPhillips1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 11 store missing

Is anyone else missing the Windows/Microsoft store after installing Windows 11 on the Fusion technical preview for Apple Silicon.  Any way to get the store to appear/load?  I installed following the guide for the VHDX files.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This has been a problem from day 1 of using Windows 11 on the Tech Preview. The only way I've gotten the Microsoft store to appear is during the initial setup I chose to set up from an existing Windows machine, and not as a brand new machine. I happen to have a correctly licensed and activated Windows 10 PC that had already been set up, so I chose that one to restore from. I was then able to install the store via "wsreset.exe -i"

I'm not sure if this is a Fusion problem or a Microsoft problem (dealing with a Windows installation that's not activated or running on an unsupported configuration),

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This has been a problem from day 1 of using Windows 11 on the Tech Preview. The only way I've gotten the Microsoft store to appear is during the initial setup I chose to set up from an existing Windows machine, and not as a brand new machine. I happen to have a correctly licensed and activated Windows 10 PC that had already been set up, so I chose that one to restore from. I was then able to install the store via "wsreset.exe -i"

I'm not sure if this is a Fusion problem or a Microsoft problem (dealing with a Windows installation that's not activated or running on an unsupported configuration),

- Paul (Technogeezer)
JohnPhillips1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very interesting.  Running that command wsreset.exe -i worked !  I now have the microsoft store.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Whew. Glad they've improved on what I'd seen and that you got it working.

I do think I saw that Microsoft didn't automatically install the store in the Insider Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Dariusaurius
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can confirm, this works for Win11 ARM as well! Thanks

pskn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, this work on win11 arm

LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me wreset -I did not work when I tried in powershell terminal, but worked in Windows terminal.

Mine is MBA M1 2020. I could install win10 and install win11.

bigbigj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so nice, it works

0 Kudos
bicerweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just running...

wsreset.exe -i

...didn't work for me. It reinstalled the store experience, but never installed the store itself. I managed to find an old guide from parallels from this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/17guuui/windows_store_missing_from_windows_11_arm_apple/

Here's the guide:
https://web.archive.org/web/20211116234809/https://kb.parallels.com/en/128520#section2

And here's the text copied from it, in case the link no longer works:

---

Some installations of Windows 11 on Mac computers with Apple M1 chip might have Microsoft Windows Store missing from the operating system.

In such a case, when opening a Windows Store link, you may see the You'll Need a New App to Open This MS-Windows-Store error message.

Install Microsoft Store manually

1. Run the virtual machine, and from it, download and open the StoreX86.zip file.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20211116234809mp_/http://kb.parallels.com/Attachments/kcs-183797/StoreX8... 
  2. Open the .reg file inside Windows.
  3. When prompted to add information to the registry, click Yes.
  4. Run the virtual machine and open PowerShell as Administrator
  5. Execute the following command:
    wsreset.exe -i
  6. Once the installation is over, the Store should be available through search. Since the first launch will be accompanied by an update, it may take a couple of minutes.

Fix Microsoft Store closing on start

If you already have Microsoft Store installed in Windows 11 on a Mac with Apple M1 Chip, but it immediately closes after being opened, perform the following steps:

1. Run the virtual machine and open PowerShell.
  2. Execute the following command:
    Get-AppxPackage -Name "Microsoft.WindowsStore" -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
  3. Restart Windows and perform the steps at the beginning of this article.
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A kind reminder: Please refrain from  posting or replying in this forum. The tech previews are over. Most people won't see this post.

I'm curious. What build of Windows are you running and what language? This issue was common (requiring the solution you posted) with builds created from uupdump. We've not seen this need for the removal of the store with the release channel versions built from Microsoft ESDs  (22H2 and 23H2) for quite some time now. . 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos