VMware Communities
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Windows 11 22H2 arm64 ISO Retail build (22621.521) is available via uupdump

Just a quick post letting everyone know that Microsoft has officially released Windows 11 22H2 to the "retail channel".  This would be my "go-to" build for a brand new Windows 11 virtual machine - you no longer have to install Insider release preview channel, beta channel or dev channel releases and have to deal with expiration and convoluted upgrade scenarios.

I've been running the release preview channel build of this for a while now. Some of the oddities found in the 22H1 release such as Windows Store crashing (still has to be installed, though!) and apps such as Calculator not running appear to have gone away.

The ISO as of now is only available by building it from uupdump.net. Note that you can only build this ISO on Windows 10 version 2004 or later. That can be on a Windows 10 or 11 physical or virtual machine - that machine can be on either Intel or ARM CPUs. Sorry, but you can no longer build these latest ISOs from uupdump on Linux or macOS and expect to get a working ISO.

The build hasn't yet been populated into the Quick Options section of uupdump.net yet. To find the build, type "22621.521" in the search box:

Technogeezer_0-1663867612621.png

Hit return and the following shows up:

Technogeezer_2-1663867903811.png

I have downloaded the highlighted build and verified that it installs into a new virtual machine using the alternate procedure in the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide. The instructions in the Tech Preview Testing Guide may also work, but I haven't had time to check them out. 

Note that Windows 11 22H2 Home and Pro Editions now require you to have a Microsoft account in order to use them. If you want to use them without a Microsoft account, you can try out the Enterprise edition (which can be added to the uupdump.net ISO build on the last "Summary for your selection" page by clicking on the radio button "Download, add additional editions and convert to ISO", then selecting the edition(s) you wish to add.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. Have fun storming the castle!

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I really dislike that MSFT account requirement - I don't use their services and have no desire to.  But kinda par for the course with their forced inclusion of shopping monitoring in Edge and such.  Do you know if its enforced upon upgrade from the last retail release? 

I'll keep a copy of my current 'clean' VM around as a base.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I really don’t know for sure, but the posts I’ve read online seems to indicate that Microsoft is tightening the requirement for a Microsoft account for Home and Pro. The alternative seems to be the Enterprise edition. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I just upgraded mine.  Booted fine without requiring an account, and no warnings on check for upgrades after the install.  Using a pro license key, and bypassed creation originally.  It also fixed the calculator not working problem.

Hopefully it'll stay that way.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

question - what build did you upgrade from and how did you do it? I’ve been having a devil of a time performing upgrades from iso with all kinds of weird behaviors. The latest was that the Windows Security app failed to open (meaning I could not change anything with Windows Defender or firewall. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

22000.1_PROFESSIONAL_ARM64_EN-US is the ISO

22000.832_arm64_en-us_professional_293a0be5_convert is the folder

I just upgraded using windows update inside the guest.  Showed up as an option upgrade.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is good you got prompted by Windows Update.  I was wondering that since the Fusion VM knows it does not meet the requirements for Windows 11 would it prompt for an update?

0 Kudos