VMware Communities
OrionH1
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 or 11 Pro Possibilities?

Any chances a real version of  Windows, 10 or 11 Pro will work some day through VMWare on M1?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you mean by 'real' version?

Windows 11: most definitely.
Windows 10: Microsoft stopped shipping it for ARM, no chance there.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
OrionH1
Contributor
Contributor

So by real I mean non-ARM versions. Full Windows 11 Pro. Our A/V software and most of what our company develops does not run on Windows ARM. Also, legally there is not a ARM license you can buy just OEM or Tech Preview still.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah, okay.

We are not working on any sort of CPU-level emulation, which is what would run Intel CPU instructions on Arm chips.

You can use QEMU/UTM for that. After observing the performance, you might understand why we're not doing it. (there isn't a lot of technical headroom to make things noticeably faster).

We are working on Windows 11 for Arm on Apple silicon, but not Windows 11 x64 on Apple silicon.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
OrionH1
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the response. Thank you

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Also I think Microsoft would take umbrage at referring to Windows 11 on ARM "not real Windows". They've put a lot of work into their x64 translation technology to be able to run x64 applications on ARM similar to what Apple did with Rosetta 2. Where Microsoft differs from Apple is that they are still supporting x64 hardware and not forcing a switch to ARM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
OrionH1
Contributor
Contributor

Im sure they have. Still not as good an experience. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Running Windows ARM directly on a machine is a great experience.  Virtualizing Windows ARM isn't good because of license limitations, not technical ones.

0 Kudos