VMware Communities
kavya1
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware support for M1

Hi

I have been trying to create an vmware and an ubuntu machine desktop from Mac M1 
But I have been trying to create from windows vm through aws workspace but it says Hyper V and vmware player are not compatible . I tried removing it in all ways and still shows the same error message idk if it supports running vmware player inside a windows workspace .

Please help me if there is a solution how i can run my ubuntu desktop machine on M1 Mac and can able to export .

Thank you 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you read the preview guide?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What are you trying to do with AWS WorkSpaces? That’s an x86 virtualization platform and will not run ARM applications or virtualize ARM architecture operating systems. 

You will be unable to convert an x64 Linux virtual machine to run on the M1 Mac - you must build a VM from an arm64 Linux distribution. As @ColoradoMarmot says, follow the preview guide. Install the preview on your Mac, download an arm64 architecture version of Ubuntu, and build your VM on the Mac with that download. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
kavya1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply .. Did you mean the vmware Fusion preview for Mac M1 and also if i download this and install ubuntu machine . Can i export this in OVA format and can this be imported to any vmware on any laptop ? 

Im trying to create an ubuntu machine from vmware which can be exported in OVA format but on Mac M1 Im unable to achieve this 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@kavya1 wrote:

Did you mean the vmware Fusion preview for Mac M1 and also if i download this and install ubuntu machine .

Yes, but you install the VMware Fusion for Apple Silicon Tech Preview on an M1 Mac. The Tech Preview will not run on any Intel/AMD platform such as AWS WorkSpaces, VMware ESXi or any Intel/AMD based physical machine.

Can i export this in OVA format and can this be imported to any vmware on any laptop ? 

It sound to me like you're trying to build a VM on your virtual platform and move it to your Mac laptop. Virtual machines on the M1 Mac must run arm64 Linux distributions. x86_64 (Intel/AMD) Linux won't run on Apple Silicon (M1), and arm64 Linux distributions won't run on Intel/AMD processors. That means:

• You can't build an x86_64 Linux VM on an Intel/AMD platform and move it to Apple Silicon (M1) based Macs.
  • You can't build an arm64 Linux on Intel/AMD platforms.

You have to build the VM on the Mac using the Fusion Tech preview, and a download of an arm64 version of Linux.

Any data you have on a VM running on x86_64 Linux VM must be copied to the arm64 Linux VM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@kavya1 wrote:

Thank you for the reply .. Did you mean the vmware Fusion preview for Mac M1 and also if i download this and install ubuntu machine . Can i export this in OVA format and can this be imported to any vmware on any laptop ? 

Im trying to create an ubuntu machine from vmware which can be exported in OVA format but on Mac M1 Im unable to achieve this 

First, you need to understand the (basic) difference between x86 and ARM architecture. Then you need to understand that you can't use VM from one architecture on another (as @Technogeezer already explained in detail). You also need to read testing guide for this preview edition (as @ColoradoMarmot suggested).

And finally, if you really need to use x86 or ARM (or vice versa), you can use it, but ONLY with QEMU (or some similar hypervisor that emulates CPU) and not with "native" VM (as VMware), but it would be much slower than normal VM for your own architecture.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And QEMU doesn't really work well for full operating systems - it's not a true full-featured hypervisor.

0 Kudos