VMware Communities
ynsy
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows

Hello i installed vmware fusion and download windows for arm but the vmware doesn't see the vhdx extention file which is windows 10 for arm. Does it have support for windows for arm? Thanks

0 Kudos
174 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Narcyzo wrote:

so sadly for now only way to got full resolution is by using remote desktop? 

Unfortunately that's correct.

All of Microsoft's documentation on supported platforms points back to a minimum hardware support document for Windows 10/11 found here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements). A chipset that's running Windows must appear on this list to be considered supported by Microsoft. Apple Silicon isn't on the list of supported processors and Microsoft has not given any indication that they are changing this soon.

Because of this VMware will not provide support (by writing virtual device drivers/VMware Tools) for an operating system on a platform that is considered unsupported by the vendor itself. Without VMware Tools, the graphics resolution is fixed at whatever the default graphics driver in Windows 10/11 can do. 

Note that reading the above Microsoft document, Parallels users (and their own developers) are technically running Windows 10/11 ARM on a processor that Microsoft does not consider supported. It might work, but all bets are off about getting help from Microsoft if a problem arises. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Fez_Vrasta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, is there any way to make the folders sharing work without VMWare Tools on Windows 10 ARM? It's the last bit of functionality I need.

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey. I did not try to play around this, but my idea to make this working is simply using Dropbox, Mega.nz or OneDrive apps to sync your files between mac and vm. If you want to make sure that no one will sniff your files (for ex, dropbox employees), you can use Cryptomator which encrypts files before sending them to the cloud and then decrypts them on the device (vm). Cheers!

0 Kudos
Fez_Vrasta
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but that would be too slow for my use case, I need instant sync

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Since there are no VMware tools for Windows for ARM there is no Hgfs driver to make VMware folder sharing work. 
Have you considered Windows file sharing from your Mac to the VM?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Fez_Vrasta wrote:

Thanks but that would be too slow for my use case, I need instant sync

As @Technogeezer suggested Windows share is probably the simplest solution. You can also use WebDAV or FTP.

0 Kudos
Gustinpowers
Contributor
Contributor

I think the best and fast method to share folders without VM tools,   is to connect a USB drive to host OS , copy data, and disconnect and connect to Guest OS when VM Fusion ask where do you want to connect, and every time repeat it when you need to copy data,.

0 Kudos
jjfcpa
Contributor
Contributor

Still can't get it to find the ISO that I created from UUP Dump.  First tries Start PXE over IPv4, then goes to Start PXE over IPv6 and then to the BIOS.  How do I get it to find and select the ISO?

0 Kudos
kgf3076
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure why  emu-img is the 'go-to' when Starwindconvert does the job quite nicely without installing anything and typing MS's awful file name ad all that other nonsense.  I have no connection with Starwind software other than I used their converter program.  You can find it here:  StarWind V2V Converter - Converting VM Formats (starwindsoftware.com).  You will have to register on the site to download the converter.

Now the kudos.  Thanks for the network and graphics cure.  I really appreciate all the hard work that's going into getting VMWare, Mac and Microsoft all on the same page.

0 Kudos
MartyLVT
Contributor
Contributor

I see nothing about Windows in your "Testing Guide"

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There’s nothing there because VMware is not supporting  Windows until Microsoft clarifies Its  licensing and support for Windows on ARM. Currently Microsoft has indicated they are not supporting   Windows running on Apple Silicon. 
Many of us have gotten it to work based on information found in this user-to-user forum. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@kgf3076 wrote:

I really appreciate all the hard work that's going into getting VMWare, Mac and Microsoft all on the same page.

I wouldn't exactly say that Microsoft, Apple and VMware are on the same page re: Windows support for Apple Silicon Mac except that they're all looking the other way while we try things out.  It's a "skunk works" type of project by users figuring out what we can get to work with some measure of usability.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
MartyLVT
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer Of course its not supported, but people are asking, and others are referring to the document that has zero information. Parallels you can download and import the Windows 11 ARM preview just fine and runs great. VMware Tools I can run the Windows 11 ARM preview as well, but no VMware Tools to support it

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Actually the document addresses windows right on page 10.  

dlhotka_0-1636576262363.png

Until microsoft changes their license, don't expect anything else.  VMWare's primary business is virtualizing on intel, and they're not going to risk that by violating the EULA to build tools.  Parallels will probably go out of business if they don't violate the EULA, so they chose to do so.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MartyLVT
Contributor
Contributor

@ColoradoMarmot Still not providing any helpful information. Even with it not being supported, there can be information on how to use it. I am actively using it without issues other than not having VMware Tools. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Adam Engst of TidBITS put the question on Windows for ARM support to Parallels asking for their take on Microsoft's statement of non-support for Apple Silicon, This is what he got (he referred to it as  a "highly politic if not particularly helpful official answer":

While we can’t comment specifically on another company’s statement, it’s not unusual for software manufacturers to have policies regarding the hardware requirements and environments they officially support. And throughout the tech industry, there are many examples of software use cases and configurations that may not be officially supported, but remain very popular in both corporate and individual end user environments.

IMO, Parallels has essentially taken the stance that "Microsoft is saying they're not officially supporting Windows on ARM for Apple Silicon, but it will work". 

VMware's lawyers don't think this position is good enough, as they believe that it puts customers at risk for an unsupported and potentially unlicensed solution, and may put their broader Windows on vSphere business at risk from Microsoft's wrath.

I suggest you direct your annoyance at Microsoft. VMware has said they will work on supporting Windows on ARM if Microsoft cleans up its act.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@MartyLVT wrote:

@ColoradoMarmot Still not providing any helpful information. Even with it not being supported, there can be information on how to use it. I am actively using it without issues other than not having VMware Tools. 

No, there CANNOT be any information published in any official VMware documentation, or that would be considered SUPPORT.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Bingo.  They are allowing information to be posted in these user to user forums, but beyond that, their hands are tied by the EULA.

0 Kudos
MartyLVT
Contributor
Contributor

@RDPetruska Just stating that the comments, like the one below, is misleading and makes it seem the testing guide will have helpful information in regards to the entirety of this discussion and questions in regards to Windows support on M1 Mac's.

"Please read the Testing Guide, it has all of this explained...

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Fusion-Tech-Preview-Testing-Guide/ta 

-
Michael Roy - PM/PMM: Fusion & Workstation"
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And it does.  It says 'not currently supported.'  If it's not supported, that's the end of it - no other information will be provided by VMWare.

0 Kudos