VMware Communities
ynsy
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows

Hello i installed vmware fusion and download windows for arm but the vmware doesn't see the vhdx extention file which is windows 10 for arm. Does it have support for windows for arm? Thanks

0 Kudos
174 Replies
1234qwer1
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me the way to convert vhdx to vmdk with emu-img? 

I entered ↓

qemu-img convert -o vmdk Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.VHDX win11.vmdk

And it is not working😭

0 Kudos
muratdk23
Contributor
Contributor

You already installed home-brew and QEMU?

Instruction:

1. Install Homebrew if you do not have it already.
  2. Run brew install qemu
  3. Run qemu-img convert -p -O vmdk Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.VHDX Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.vmdk
Tags (1)
1234qwer1
Contributor
Contributor

yes I installed home brew and qemu

the terminal says

Could not open 'Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.VHDX': No such file or directory

And I have my windows VHDX file in download folder

Did I entered wrong command? or do I have to move my VHDX file to another folder?

0 Kudos
muratdk23
Contributor
Contributor

When you open terminal first you should go to download folder. Enter command cd /Users/username/Downloads. And then command to convert. 

0 Kudos
singhdiljitt9
Contributor
Contributor

I imported the Parallels VM to VMware Fusion 12.1.2 and then created an "Other 64-bit Arm" custom VM with the Tech Preview using the virtual disk from 12.1.2. It doesn't work going straight from Parallels to Tech Preview.

0 Kudos
DrBill269
Contributor
Contributor

qemu-img convert -f vhdx -O vmdk Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.vdhx Windows11_Fusion.vmdk

0 Kudos
DrBill269
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me

qemu-img convert -f vhdx -O vmdk Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.vdhx Windows11_Fusion.vmdk

0 Kudos
Narcyzo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, tried that but screen res changed to native only in Microsoft Remote Desktop when connecting, res in vm stayed 1024x768, any other idea or I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Working as expected. The resolution in the VM “console” does not change when you change the resolution in the RDP session. You don’t work in that console session (note the console session is locked)  if you are accessing via RDP session. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ahh ok.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Question, can you loop back RDP inside the guest?  From/to itself?  Right now I'm keeping win 11 off the network.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

Ahh ok.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Question, can you loop back RDP inside the guest?  From/to itself?  Right now I'm keeping win 11 off the network.

Sorry but no. An attempt to do so is met with the following:

RDP screen shot.png

Which kind of makes sense if you think about it because RDP on Windows Home/Pro closes the console session to the remote computer when you connect to it... 

Windows 10 (and maybe it carries over to 11) is limited by Microsoft licensing to 1 user working on the computer from what my research is telling me. If you want multiple sessions to a system, Microsoft is encouraging you to purchase Windows Server (of which there is no ARM architecture version at the present time) if you want to do this.

There appear to be hacks for Windows 10 x86)_64 to override the default behavior and allow multiple sessions to connect to a Windows 10 system. However I doubt that it works in Windows 11 for ARM, and even trying to do this in "loop back" still won't let you change the resolution of the console session so that's not going to help you.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Technogeezer wrote:

Working as expected. The resolution in the VM “console” does not change when you change the resolution in the RDP session. You don’t work in that console session (note the console session is locked)  if you are accessing via RDP session. 

Also, note that you change the resolution of the RDP session by resizing the window on the Mac. You can't resize the screen from within the session via Settings / Display. Here's what you'd see:

RDP session screen shot.png

You could even start the RDP session in full screen mode. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Narcyzo
Contributor
Contributor

For me, only screen res in RDP changing to native, i have checked two boxes, resize and optimise for retina displays, vm screen stays on 1024x768 and logged out, so i need to work on Windows by RDP? 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you will need to work from the RDP session in order to use the expanded screen real estate. 

Like I said, it’s a workaround if you need a bigger screen on your VM.  What you are seeing is standard Windows behavior when using an RDP to the console session. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
IT-Pappa
Contributor
Contributor

d
0 Kudos
IT-Pappa
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to install Windows 10 ARM, but i cant get any networking to work and the installation could not connect to shared network. Alsi tried birdged but still didnt work.

0 Kudos
Narcyzo
Contributor
Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNoGPczavw we cant install those drivers like utm to get full resolution? talking about virtio drivers

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Read the thread - there's tips on how to get networking working.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

UTM in the demo is running the x86-64 image and emulating and thus those drivers are for x86-64 not ARM.  UTM claims to also run Windows 10 ARM though.

0 Kudos
Narcyzo
Contributor
Contributor

so sadly for now only way to got full resolution is by using remote desktop? 

0 Kudos