VMware Communities
ynsy
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows

Hello i installed vmware fusion and download windows for arm but the vmware doesn't see the vhdx extention file which is windows 10 for arm. Does it have support for windows for arm? Thanks

0 Kudos
174 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@muratdk23 wrote:

Interesting that parallels runs windows good with drivers and has no problem with licensing.

Just because they are ignoring Microsoft licensing and support does not mean they are doing the right thing. My developer preview clearly states that the only supported platforms are Microsoft ARM processors (used in the Surface) and two Qualcomm Snapdragon processors. And that I am running it on a licensed system, which is impossible to do. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"Interesting that parallels runs windows good with drivers and has no problem with licensing."

Actually it is interesting.  Parallels business model was to make Windows on Mac easy, they sold out to venture capital, and now Microsoft and Apple are killing Windows on Mac.  Parallels does have a licensing problem because in the past they could sell you licenses as click-thru, but now Parallels pushes you to the Windows Insider program as that is the only way you can get a Windows ARM image as an end user.  Windows 10 for ARM on Mac is gone now unless you can get somebody's old image copy to use.  Windows 11 on ARM will disappear the same way Windows 10 on ARM did.  Its an interesting problem...

0 Kudos
muratdk23
Contributor
Contributor

I think Windows 10 on ARM disappeared because windows 11 on arm includes all technologies of it. Microsoft sees that arm processors is the future so they will continue developing this version.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@simon238 wrote:

Anybody had any luck with display drivers? Would be great to be able to change the resolution

Here's a workaround for the Windows 11 preview:

• Install Microsoft Remote Desktop on the Mac.
  • Enable Remote Desktop (Settings > Remote Desktop) in the VM. (Since it's Windows 11 Pro and not Home, RDP can be enabled...)
  • Open Microsoft Remote Desktop on the Mac.  Configure a session to your VM. In the "Display" tab, make sure the "Update the screen resolution on resize" is checked.
  • Save the season and open it.

When you resize the session’s window on the Mac, the screen resolution of the Windows VM will change. It seems to work for both NAT and Bridged networking configs. You may have to manually configure the IP address in the VM with a static address so that the RDP connection can be repeatedly made without having to edit the session config.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
DrBill269
Contributor
Contributor

Works great, thanks!

0 Kudos
behammons
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I got the .VHDX and converted to a .vmdk. I freezes at booting

Shortly after  getting to "Getting Ready" stage.

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@behammons 

Have you done something different than those steps that I posted here?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Now that is clever.  Wonder if you could install it in the guest itself and just RDP in a loop...

0 Kudos
simon238
Contributor
Contributor

This is genius 🙌

0 Kudos
rgdn
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. 

When I try to select it on the dialog box all the options are greyed out, I cannot select the Windows11.vmdk or any other file.

Followed all the steps from here and still nothing.
I'm adding a Screenshot here (I shortened the file names to make it easier to type on qemu to convert the files).

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure you have VMware Fusion Preview for Apple Silicion version and convert .vhdx image to .vmkd.

rgdn
Contributor
Contributor

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 22.06.30.png

That's the version I have already.
I had converted the Windows 11 file downloaded from Microsoft (in Terminal using qemu) from .vhdx image to .vmkd.

These options are greyed-out when I go select them.

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure that you are creating new VM as "Other 64-bit ARM". Then select "Use an existing virtual disk" then select vmdk that you have created with qemu-img. It should work that way. If not, then I will record an video "how to run Windows 11 ARM on VMware Fusion" to make it easy for others to install.

0 Kudos
rgdn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help so far.

But yes, this is exactly the process I followed and I'm experiencing this problem.

When I go select the vmdk file, I cannot click on it as the VM does not recognize it as a valid file, it's greyed-out and I cannot click on it.

Reinstalled VMware Fusion, downloaded the vhdx again, tried re-converting and nothing changes.

0 Kudos
rgdn
Contributor
Contributor

I followed this tutorial for installing VMware Fusion and Windows 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BwCdMQ3TA

Anything I should have tried differently?

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@rgdn wrote:

I followed this tutorial for installing VMware Fusion and Windows 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BwCdMQ3TA

Anything I should have tried differently?

I did a quick check of that video and it looks good, even I would do few things differently.

1. There is no need to change disk type from NVme to SATA.
2. Add BypassTPMCheck only if it is really needed. Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.vhdx works properly without that change.

0 Kudos
iampivot
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried the hack mentioned above to get the networking going, but I'm still unable to get any connection running. Which of the networking options are people having success with; NAT / Bridged / Host only?

I haven't been able to get a DHCP config working so tried manual config as well, but still no go.

0 Kudos
simon238
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is all default, which is NAT (Share with my Mac). After running the bcdedit commands, you do have to restart to get internet access. Other than that, I didn't have to change anything.

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@iampivot wrote:

I've tried the hack mentioned above to get the networking going, but I'm still unable to get any connection running. Which of the networking options are people having success with; NAT / Bridged / Host only?

I haven't been able to get a DHCP config working so tried manual config as well, but still no go.

Be sure that you do not have VPN connection active on your host while starting the VM.

Be sure that you open CMD as Admin, before entering the commands. Restart VM after entering those commands.

I am using Internet Sharing, but I guess other should work too. You will see on the last picture that ethernet adapter drivers are not installed and that ethernet "doesn't work", but as you can see in the previous two pictures it works as intended.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.14.05.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.15.30.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.16.23.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.16.55.png

0 Kudos
iampivot
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help, finally got it working! Not sure what exact change made it work, but I restarted a good number of times. I might have had PIA internet running when I tried it out the first time.

The final settings are: network setting: Bridged (autodetect), and in the network adapter setting in vmware, I've selected automatic, not share with my mac. Ethernet is still configured with a manual address in windows 11.

I do get a "a virtual machine is trying to monitor all internet traffic..." popup asking for a password though, when starting the VM.

0 Kudos