VMware Communities
ynsy
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows

Hello i installed vmware fusion and download windows for arm but the vmware doesn't see the vhdx extention file which is windows 10 for arm. Does it have support for windows for arm? Thanks

0 Kudos
174 Replies
maescons
Contributor
Contributor

Are there no VMWare Tools available for Windows 11 Preview? Can I install them manually somehow?

F5 networks Network Access (SSL VPN) tries to connect but disconnects again? What settings could influence that? I see in the logs errors about the routing tables?

maescons
Contributor
Contributor

I can't seem to find the Windows 10 ARM x64 Insiders Preview anymore for download? Seems to be replaced with the Windows 11 version but this doesn't seem to work fully yet? Anyone has a link to the Windows 10 version?

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, M$ replaced Win 10 ARM Preview with 11 version. You can try your luck with uupdump.net.

0 Kudos
simon238
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody had any luck with display drivers? Would be great to be able to change the resolution

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There are no VMware Tools available for Window 11 Preview on ARM as it is out of scope for this phase of their Fusion on Apple Silicon project. 

Also consider that  Microsoft does not support Windows running on Apple Silicon. VMware can’t develop the tools and stay within Microsoft’s licensing (that’s important because of their large customer base that runs Windows on vSphere).  That could change when Microsoft changes their licensing and support stance. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
behammons
Contributor
Contributor

I have dowloaded the arm iso for windows 11; where do you get the vodka image?

behammons
Contributor
Contributor

where do you get theWindows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.vhdx

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can download vhdx from here, but you need to be part of insider program to be able to download it.

If you have already downloaded ISO from some other place, you can convert that iso to vmdx with qemu-img.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You have to sign up for the Microsoft Windows Insider program (make sure you have a Microsoft account, then go to https://insider.windows.com). Once you do that, here's how I found the download:

Scroll down until you see the blue "Quick Connect" on the right hand side of the page.

Click "ISOs".

On the right hand side of the page, under "Navigate to", click on the "Windows 11 on ARM Insider Preview" link. You can download it from there.(note that this is a Hyper-V vhdx virtual machine disk, not an ISO....)..

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Technogeezer those are x64 builds. ARM build is on the link that I have posted.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@viking1304  The ISO download page linked to under Quick Connect indeed has the x64 builds. Don't click on them.

Instead, use the link on the right hand side of the page under "Navigate to" for "Windows 11 on ARM Insider Preview" link you will find on the right hand side of the page under "Navigate to".

Technogeezer_0-1632865043996.png

That gets you to a page where you can download the Win 11 ARM64 preview vhdx. It does appear that your link gets you to the same place that I got to...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And that will lead you exactly to the link that I have already posted. 🙂

But yes, your information is complete, and you helped me remember how I get to this link.

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can get it from official MS website -> https://www.microsoft[.]com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64. Take note that you won't be able to use .vhdx directly in VMware Fusion. You will need to convert .vhdx file to .vmdk format. To do so, you can use qemu-img, command should be something like this -> qemu-img convert -f vhdx -O vmdk Windows11_ARM64_Preview_BlaBla.vhdx Windows11_Fusion.vmdk

Obviously you need to install qemu. To do so, I can recommend you to get Homebrew first. Open terminal and then paste install command from their official website https://brew[.]sh/

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

Then use this command to install qemu: brew install qemu.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

MacPorts also works to get an easily installable version of qemu.

See https://www.macports.org/install.php for a quick start on installing MacPorts.

Once installed, use "sudo port install qemu".

Both MacPorts and homebrew work to easily get you qemu, I'm just offering another option.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
behammons
Contributor
Contributor

When I go to import the newly converted .vmdk it is greyed out.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

you don't import it.  You create a new virtual machine and point it to that as the existing virtual disk.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

When you create the new VM and tell it to use the vmdk you just converted, you may wish to let Fusion copy the selected disk into the new VM. That way if something goes horribly wrong (or you want to create another Windows virtual machine), you don't have to re-convert the vhdx disk to vmdk. You'll just use up a bit more disk space for the extra copy,

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

So far so good with the Windows 11 ARM preview. Runs well. Even installed Microsoft Office and OneDrive from my personal Microsoft 365 account, and they both seem to work. Nothing funky yet.

Would be nice to have better graphics support but yes, I understand why..... Now if we can only get Microsoft to relent.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
muratdk23
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting that parallels runs windows good with drivers and has no problem with licensing.

0 Kudos
zrupmilouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion runs Windows good too for basics needs like idk cybersecurity research or for using standard apps like Office on Windows. Keep it in mind that VMware has various deals with Microsoft unlike Parallels, so they can't simply piracy Windows + Parallels is paid, so VMware Fusion can be quite good, free alternative to Parallels. And from my experience, VMware Fusion runs Windows better than UTM, even without official "support".

0 Kudos