VMware Communities
yfx01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual machine time is out of sync

Using the latest version of VMware fusion arm, windows 11 22H2, the virtual machine hangs for a period of time, and then resumes the virtual machine, the time of the virtual machine is very delayed

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you provide some more details on how/when this happens? Example: at VM boot time? After boot? 

What edition and build of Windows 11 are you using?

What kind of networking are you using in the VM? NAT?  Bridged?

There are no VMware tools in the VM that will keep it sync'd with the host clock, but if you have the VM configured to sync time automatically like you would a physical machine it should keep the time correct by using network resources.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
jlalbo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. If I suspend the VM, when it restarts system time continues in the same moment when it was suspended. I have the option in the configuration to sync with Mac OS time checked. If I switch off de VM, when it restarts the time is OK. 

Windows 11 ARM 2H22 with the last updates and NAT. I have reinstalled several times and always de same problem. 

mac_pro_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too am experience the same issue...

The behavior is exhibited after the host is awaken from sleep.  Depending how long I wait to awaken the host, the greater the time differential.

All virtual machines remain unresponsive (like a hang) for an unknown period (~5 mins), then eventually becomes responsive again and the clock is back in sync with the host.

I all my virtual machines set to:

Synchronize time                    Checked

Pass power status to VM       Checked

Turn off the display:               Never

Put the computer to sleep:    Never

Example:

Host machine time (Ventura 13.0.1):

macOS.png

Virtual machine time (Windows 10/Windows Server 2012):

VM.png

This issue is stopping me from upgrading all my Virtual Machines to Fusion 13.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I experience the same thing on Fusion 13 also. I always pause my VM, sometimes for multiple days. When I resume, the clock is at the time when paused. If I sync time I get the attached message in settings > time & language > date &time > additional clocks > internet time. I have to manually change time to something more current and then sync time.  I'm running Monterey 12.6.1, Windows 11 home 22H2 22622.598, Fusion 13. I turn sync time with host in fusion settings (guess not implemented in tools). Sync time automatically in W11, but still have to go through above procedure. Looking for something simpler.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

My immediate thought is that there is not a full VMware Tools in the Windows 11 ARM guest (Virtual Machine) that can automatically keep the time in the guest in sync with the host Mac.

If that's the case the situation won't change until VMware releases a full VMware Tools implementation. You'll have to manually sync the time after suspend.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
jlalbo
Contributor
Contributor

I think so. In the meanwhile, the solution is to switch off the VM instead of pausing it. It's not comfortable but better than nothing.

I can't criticize too much vmware when they give me a free product for my use where the more important things just work, but I have to say that I'm a bit surprised they have released a final version of Fusion for ARM with so many bugs, and lack of important features like document sharing or unity. I hope they come soon with un update. 

Thanks @Technogeezer. And thanks wmware. 

0 Kudos