VMware Communities
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ventura host experiences?

Anyone out there running the TP on a Ventura Host?  I tend to be an early adopter (but not beta), and would be interested to know if anything broke.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Been using it since Beta 1... had some issues that were resolved in Beta 3 where using Exposé and Spaces, moving an App window from one desktop to another would render the view invisible. That got fixed in a later Beta, haven't seen it in a while.

Stage Manager is cool, a bit weird to understand it's behavior, but Fusion does play nice with it as well.

All in all, we're thrilled we don't have a mountain of ventura-specific bugs like we did with Big Sur.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

WooHoo, thanks Mike!

Gold Master, here I come 🙂

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And the gold master is out, so I gave it a go.  TP works just fine.

Reminder - shut down (not suspend) VM's, and remove all snapshots taken while the VM was running before upgrading the OS version on your host.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Just upgraded to Ventura GA on my Mac mini 2020 M1. Limited testing so far, but nothing seems to have broken (yet) with the latest Tech Preview release.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Do you see Ventura notifying you that VMWare has added background items every time you launch a VM?

0 Kudos
joedec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I get this message every time I start  VMware Fusion.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 9.44.55 AM.jpg

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'm seeing this too and believe it to be normal, and related to security-related enhancements that are in Ventura .

Fusion adds its background services to macOS when you start it (take a look at the folder /System/LaunchDaemons and you'll see VMware related items appear when Fusion starts). and uses the macOS system's launch services mechanism to start and stop its services. Fusion uses the launch services mechanisms to stop those background services and cleans up what it did behind the scenes when you quit Fusion (again, see that the vmware related items in /System/LaunchDaemons will be removed). Fusion's goals appear to be that they only start those services when they are needed, and not at system boot time.

Older versions of macOS did not report that it was making those changes. Ventura now notifies on that activity.

There's really no need to manage them from the Login Items settings.  (the new Login Items settings box is na bit of a head scratcher with those background items and it's not easy to figure out what Apple is trying to have you manage, and it needs some work IMO).

It's annoying, to be sure. But IMO it's a minor annoyance. Simply dismiss the notification.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I like the settings box for awareness, but it doesn't link to launchdaemons and the other folders, so it's still painful to clean things out.

I suspect the release will fix it.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, I can't figure out what Apple was going for in that new box. I'm not sure if you mean the next Fusion GA release or the Ventura GA release. 

It is kind of, shall we say, interesting to keep populating launch daemons every time Fusion is started rather than simply installing the plists once and enabling/disabling them when needed.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the Ventura GA, the Settings pane still doesn't offer any additional information if the item is signed. Again, not very helpful. (E.g., it took me quite some time to figure out that the launch items from PhotoMinds LLC are for Arq.)

On the other hand, if the item is unsigned (e.g., from a MacPorts port), there's an Info button that opens a Finder window on the executable referenced from the plist.

I read somewhere that there's a new API in Ventura to manager background items that avoids the notification and, I believe, also doesn't put the items in the Settings pane.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@palter wrote:

I read somewhere that there's a new API in Ventura to manager background items that avoids the notification and, I believe, also doesn't put the items in the Settings pane.

I hope so and I hope that VMware has decided to use it for the sanity of their users.. I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks or so.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
brucewatkins196
Contributor
Contributor

Bit new here but I cannot get Fusion to work with Stage Manager at all. All of the other apps slide away and slide back perfectly but Fusion does not function like them at all.

Hoping I have just messed up a setting but would appreciate some help.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I hope you still aren't running the 22H2 Tech Preview because that ship sailed a long time ago. This forum isn't really monitored much any more, and the stock reply to any question you do post here is "have you tried it in Fusion 13 or 13.5".

I haven't seen that behavior with Fusion 13 on Ventura (or 13.5 Sonoma) when VMs are running in non-full screen mode. Full screen mode is a different story as it takes up, well, the full screen in another space. Switching back to the original desktop space gets Stage Manager back involved.

I have Stage Manager set as follows:

Technogeezer_0-1699895011283.png

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
brucewatkins196
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Paul. No I am running VMWare Fusion non commercial version 13.5.0. I am also running Ventura 13.6. Sonoma is scheduled once corporate approval is granted.

I am not in full screen and all the other apps behave as suggested by everyone but Fusion just sits in the background and never slides to the side.

I have made sure my setting are as you have said so I am wondering if its just because I am using the Player Version 13.5.0 (22583790)?

Again, any help would be great.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Player shouldn't be making any difference.

Is this Mac a corporately managed asset through a Mobile Data Management (MDM) solution such as Microsoft InTune or jamf?  If so, could they have pushed a profile down to your Mac that could potentially be interfering with this? I wouldn't rule that out. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
brucewatkins196
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is a corporate Mac and we do use jamf. Weird how it only affects the Fusion window and no other apps. I will ask them if I need to modify anything in the Fusion app to make it work with Stage Manager.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's just a thought. Perhaps they can try it on a non-enrolled Mac, then on an enrolled Mac and see what the differences might be. It's more likely that they'll need to review the profile that they've downloaded rather than give you anything you can do with Fusion. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
brucewatkins196
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Paul. Good idea. Will do.

0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMware fusion 13.5 in Ventura.13.6.

Can I update Ventura to Sonama macOS?

0 Kudos