VMware Communities
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview 21H1 build 19431034 public download link

I tried to update the Homebrew cask for VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview, but it is impossible to download this new build without logging in first, so I had to revert the pull request.

❯ curl -I https://download3.vmware.com/software/fusion/file/VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 10
Server: AkamaiNetStorage
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:33:25 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
content-disposition: attachment; filename="VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg"
Content-Type: application/x-octet-stream

New link that works can only be accessed with authorization:

❯ curl -I https://download2.vmware.com/software/FUS-PUBTP-2021H1-TEST1/VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Server: AkamaiGHost
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 176
Expires: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:34:06 GMT
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:34:06 GMT
content-disposition: attachment; filename="VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg"

Old version can still be dowloaded, but license doesn't work anymore:

❯ curl -I https://download3.vmware.com/software/fusion/file/VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-18656771_arm64.dmg
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 87158453
Content-MD5: s82k4GOcaPQ3TFU2iM7XXw==
ETag: "b3cda4e0639c68f4374c553688ced75f:1632309896.704751"
Last-Modified: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:25:00 GMT
Server: AkamaiNetStorage
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:45:56 GMT
content-disposition: attachment; filename="VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-18656771_arm64.dmg"
Content-Type: application/x-octet-stream

@Mikero would it be possible to make publicly available download, since this is public tech preview? I guess that you decided to keep this build private because of the embedded license.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
fabienmagagnosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They asked for a fusion license something like 2 weeks ago for me, and then I could upgrade.

I’m wondering if they (VMware) is not starting to apply the same model as their commercial product : like trial and then license necessary 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The tech preview has a built-in time-limited license.   They release new builds before the old one expires.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think this was a mess-up.

Let me backchannel and figure it out. We might update the URL.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

The tech preview has a built-in time-limited license.   They release new builds before the old one expires.

That is not questionable.

Old dmg can still be downloaded without any login credential, but to be able to download new one, you must login first. This is not an issue if you manually install VMware, but it is a problem for automated installations (for example with Homebrew). Since it is not possible to update the script, users needs to manually install lastest Tech Preview.

0 Kudos
fabienmagagnosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know it’s maybe weird to ask such question, but am I the only one using internally a artifactory HTTPS server to serve all static and non static resources (cache only) for developer, deployer AND IT ?

meaning, if you have a version (for dev as for IT) which is valid and need to be available anyway, then you store it in a reference server (we use artifactory as we store maven/jar files, generic Linux ISO and repository as basic windows and macOS binaries and scripts so then the URL is not only known, controlled, but the software tested and validated.

The repository is obviously large (over a TB of static data, but we have all the history, do some cleanup once a year only, and got, an installation process for ANY clients on the IT which require a first time VPN access to the repository privately 

it’s just for my info : I’m providing a service which looks to me not present anywhere else it seems as we got too many layers of separation between production and IT environment when both are critical

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

URL is updated, you should be able to resubmit your PR to Homebrew using this URL:

https://download3.vmware.com/software/fusion/file/VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg

MD5SUM: e5dfc291596452ea59fdafce217bdaed
SHA1SUM: 6d6bb390bf5ce7c892f972412c8c91b9652db4c6
SHA256SUM: c61c610fef9fe3c2f9fb9072228432271d7474dad6e954f9df1811da0f3f12dc
-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much @Mikero!

New pull request submitted.

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Mikero I have another small suggestion, but since it's related to this topic I will not create a separate thread.

Homebrew has a nice (developer) command livecheck which helps maintainers to easy check for latest version of some application.

If you run this command on Intel Mac, you will get something like this for VMware Tech Preview:

❯ brew livecheck vmware-fusion-tech-preview
vmware-fusion-tech-preview : 16530630 ==> 16530630

but if you run it on ARM, you will get this:

❯ brew livecheck vmware-fusion-tech-preview
vmware-fusion-tech-preview : skipped - No version information available

since currently there is no way to check for latest version of ARM build.

Latest Intel build is always available on this redirection link so it can be used to determine a version using HTTP(S) response headers.

So, my suggestion is to make ARM version also available on some redirection link similar to that one (for example https://www.vmware.com/go/get-fusion-tp-arm).

Then it would be easy to make a small change in Homebrew code to make version check for ARM version available too.

0 Kudos