VMware Communities
RayanJ
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare fusion tech preview freezing on mac m1

Hi. I was looking for a virtual machine to use kali linux inside of VM on host (mac m1 2020) machine. So I chose to use VMWare fusion. By the way, while using the VMware fusion tech preview, my kali VM has freezed after reboot mac m1.

I attach the status of my vmware fusion.

RayanJ_0-1647926644225.png

Mac OS: Monterey 12.3 (21E230) (latest update)

VMWare fusion version:  Player Version e.x.p (19431034)

I think this tech preview version is an experimental virtual machine. Is this correct? If it is, which VM can I choose to use Kali on mac m1?

Is any VMs for mac m1? Only the option = Parallels?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

Thanks - I never thought I'd miss Windows stability 😉

I'm sure there are those of us around for a while that remember when "Windows stability" was an oxymoron. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
v1c3
Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 22.48.08.png

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 22.42.44.png

  

Why do I have to pay for it AND do the bug reporting, if it's experimental 🙂

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@v1c3 The tech preview is indeed free. You do not have to purchase a key or use one that you already have.

The screen you see requesting a license key at Tech Preview installation time is typically seen when remnants of a prior Fusion installation (either from the prior Tech Preview release, a migration from Intel to Apple Silicon where Fusion is installed, or from a misguided attempt to try and use Fusion 12 on Apple Silicon Macs) is discovered and the installer seems to think it needs a license key.

To get rid of this, follow the complete manual uninstall procedure noted in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 . This will remove the remnants of the prior installations, but not your virtual machines.

Reboot (just to be safe) and re-install the updated spin of the Tech Preview. The major change is the inclusion of a new license key that replaces the expired one. That dialog you have posted that was requesting a key should pre-populate with a new evaluation license.

And yes, the Tech Preview is experimental/beta/pre-release software. It's not a production release.  It's part of the deal of being given access to pre-release software that you report any problems you have here in this forum. And you don't pay for that either. The downside is that there's no guarantee when VMware will fix any issues encountered with pre-release software. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
t3chn0m4g3
Contributor
Contributor

Seems UTM for Mac M1 has a similar problem:
https://github.com/utmapp/UTM/issues/2682

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Not surprising since UTM is simply a wrapper around QEMU. QEMU has the same problem when virtualizing ARM architecture operating systems on M1. 

Evidently QEMU has fixed this, so whenever UTM picks up those fixes it will no longer be an issue for them.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotta say, before anyone attempts to glean any conclusions from that UTM issue, it was opened in July 2021. To me, it  appears to contain numerous issues with numerous workarounds.  The only thing all of these problems have in common seems to be that the EFI stub code happens to print a particular message before something else after it breaks.

0 Kudos
RayanJ
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer

The more detailed how the situation happened is that I was using Kali on FusionTechpreview, and after a few hours, just simply folded (not shutting down the computer) my MacBook air 2020 with opened VM Techpreivew.

After 1 day, opened MacBook, and I found that Preview was iced. Not working at all.

My simple resolution was just restarting the VM on Techpreivew, there's no problem for now.

0 Kudos