VMware Communities
RayanJ
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare fusion tech preview freezing on mac m1

Hi. I was looking for a virtual machine to use kali linux inside of VM on host (mac m1 2020) machine. So I chose to use VMWare fusion. By the way, while using the VMware fusion tech preview, my kali VM has freezed after reboot mac m1.

I attach the status of my vmware fusion.

RayanJ_0-1647926644225.png

Mac OS: Monterey 12.3 (21E230) (latest update)

VMWare fusion version:  Player Version e.x.p (19431034)

I think this tech preview version is an experimental virtual machine. Is this correct? If it is, which VM can I choose to use Kali on mac m1?

Is any VMs for mac m1? Only the option = Parallels?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you give a bit more detail on what happened when you say "freezed after reboot Mac m1"? 

What rebooted? The Mac? The VM? Did the Mac crash while this VM was operational and then you rebooted?

Is the VM you show in this screen shot actually up and running (I see the CPU chart in the upper right of the screen, is that moving or is the entire screen frozen? Is there any CPU utilization stats you have from the macOS side of things?

Have you tried to shut down (first choice) the VM? If that didn't work, did you try Power Off?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
uy1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, having similar issue at my side (M1 silicon with fusion 19431034). vm freeze at the installation screen, after selecting the grub option. error message says 'EFI stub error: kernel imaged not align with 64k boundary' 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.38.19.png'

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I get in many cases when running into this:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Fedora-35-kernel-5-16-14-will-not-bo...

Those alignment messages are non-fatal and AFAICT are not related to the true problem as stated above.  You'll get them even when you boot successfully.

A kernel of the family in question are already in a number of distributions of Ubuntu.

I found that 64-bit Arm Server 21.10 starts out with an older kernel that won't do this, so it will reboot after installation.
You'll then eventually get a newer kernel installed, I set the boot loader to still select the original kernel.

0 Kudos
uy1
Contributor
Contributor

so is there anything I can do to resolve this issue ? the machine sits there and does nothing.

the iso I'm trying to install, is the latest ubuntu version fir arm (https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ - jammy-desktop-arm64.iso)

Regards

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The jammy dailies will be no good.  I can speak from experience.
I just posted a new topic about one particular version of Ubuntu that can work.
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Ubuntu-hanging-on-boot-up-Try-Ubuntu...

If you try it, let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
uy1
Contributor
Contributor

have created a new machine with the iso you mentioned - install process was passed, but now it hang during startup.

the below screen happen after the grub selection, btw the same happen to me with the previous version - ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-arm64

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 14.27.04.png

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Darn, that's what you'll get with this kernel problem.
Are you able to get into the bootloader menu?  I believe you hit Shift or Esc at startup to get in.
If you can, note the kernel version numbers it lets you choose.

I can take a moment to try the current download ISO to see if it was replaced.  @Technogeezer mentioned that the new kernels have security fixes, so it could have happened.

0 Kudos
uy1
Contributor
Contributor

there is only one option at the menu - version 5.13.0.37

psb

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 14.46.03.png

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, today's image gets stuck for me in the same place.
Since this a "live" style installation ISO, it could easily have become bricked just today.
So, sadly, I posted too soon.
I can only think of there being a full release ISO older than yesterday somewhere...

0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> version 5.13.0.37

Yeah we got screwed, sorry for leading you on.  I didn't think about this being a live style ISO.  The kernel used changed.

See the attached image for what is working for me (5.13.0-19).

0 Kudos
uy1
Contributor
Contributor

all good - do you happen to recall the iso filename ? 

managed to install and run the 21.04-server, but I'm looking for the desktop image

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@uy1 If you do find one please let all of us know. Many of us have tried with no success. Canonical doesn't seem to distribute an ISO for Ubuntu Desktop on ARM other than the Jammy pre-release builds or a pre-packaged one for a Raspberry Pi. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
rhaleblianbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> do you happen to recall the iso filename

It was the name of the ISO you used.  It's a Live CD ISO, so the results you get depend on what the network installation gives you.
This is why it worked for me in the past and failed for you later.

I thought that all ARM Server distributions were Live CDs, but if you got one to work I may have been misinformed...

0 Kudos
v1c3
Contributor
Contributor

The same is happening with the current arm64-kali-linux-5 kernel. My workaround is to boot an older kernel. According to a collegue this is not happening with parallels. I expect its a problem of VMware and not the current kernels.
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, it happened with both.  Parallels has issued a patch that allows it to work again (but they still haven't fixed the problems with regular crashes).

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot have you heard anything from VMware on this, as I certainly have not. I know this is a tech preview/prerelease software but what's the point of having software for test when nothing runs on it (which is quickly becoming true).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

@Mikero Any word on a fix for the kernel issue?  Terrible timing with the updated tech preview....

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's been escalated, basically. 
Also thanks @Technogeezer  for your email, that was helpful and we got it in front of the right folks.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Thanks - I never thought I'd miss Windows stability 😉

0 Kudos