VMware Communities
adamm22
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion Pro - on MacOS M1 running Windows 10

hey all, has anyone been able to get Windows 10 running on Apple Silicon (M1 MBP) with VMWare Fusion 12? Is this supported in a beta release or anything? I haven't really done a deep dive on these forums - but hoping someone would help me out. Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The only version of Fusion which will run on an M1 Mac is the Tech Preview for Apple Silicon.

Windows for ARM is not officially Supported, but you can read posts in that forum for help.

0 Kudos
meterman70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wound up just buying a refurb'd PC and using Remote Desktop to access it over my local network from my M1 mini.

If you consider the cost of a Windows license and what past upgrade editions of Fusion cost, the total comes out to be about the same.

Although I had to change my workflow (and the hardware setup) some, it's about as good as it used to be.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you need intel guest support, that's the only option.  To the OP: Windows 10 will never work on an M1 machine.  Windows 11 can be made to work, and it sounds like we'll get some better tips on that this week, but the licensing issues are still unclear.

0 Kudos