VMware Communities
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Fusion 13 is approaching

VMWare Fusion 13 is approaching. From the horse's mouth (Michael Roy - @mikeroySoft😞

BUT... We have an exciting Tech Preview coming in June that I can't wait to demo 😃

Don't expect macOS support yet tho... the API we have to work with is super alpha... hoping we'll have something we can actually use come WWDC.

https://twitter.com/mikeroySoft/status/1520097322184548353

Hopefully, besides Ubuntu and macOS, support for Windows comes also with it, even if it is as Parallel's Desktop has accomplished it (better that than nothing).

4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@VirtualMac2009 that's both good news and disappointing news. I somehow suspected that we wouldn't see another Tech Preview update that addresses the issues we've been seeing until the "summer" given what @Mikero had hinted in an earlier post.

Guess we've got another month or so of limping along on a broken TP release. :😫

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yup, sounds like Ubuntu is a PITA (that seems to be a theme), MacOS is in it's infancy, but maybe, just maybe, there will be 'one more thing' that we'll all be happy with

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad that VMware is taking its time on macOS virtualization. Hopefully they're actively engaging with Apple to help them get their APIs to be more comprehensive and robust.

And before someone says that "VMware is behind because Parallels already supports macOS virtualization on ARM", take a look at the fine print. There is a boatload of restrictions on it and things that you'd expect to be there that aren't. Want to resize your VM's disk. Nope. Want to have a split-allocated virtual disk? Nope. Want snapshots? Nope. Want drag/drop? Nope. Want to change your VM settings? Not in the GUI, you don't. And there are more.

This is probably the reason that VMware is saying what they are about the maturity of Apple's virtualization APIs.

And @ColoradoMarmot I hope that Windows is that "one more thing".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
DrBigJim
Contributor
Contributor

It would have been nice to announce something like this on some place other than Twitter, of which I have not changed my mind about Twitter being a place to avoid like the Black Plague.

0 Kudos