VMware Communities
toce
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to upgrade Debian 11 to backport kernel 5.18.0

In the Tech Preview 22H2 Apple Silicon Tips and Techniques v2 document, instructions are provided to upgrade the Debian 11 kernel with a 5.18.0 backport. For this, ref section 4.2 "Obtaining newer kernel versions for Debian 11".
Unfortunately, with the instructions provided I do not seem to be able to upgrade the kernel.

I installed Debian 11 using a fresh copy of the "debian-11.4.0-arm64-netinst.iso", and configured the installation with GNOME and only the standard utilities.

Ref attached "backport-220905.txt" for the actual command used and the (alas, disappointing 🙂 result.

Basically the failure boils down to "Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming."

Several messages in the attached log refer to kernel "5.18.2-1~bpo11+1", but attempting to install that using name "linux-image-5.18.2-1~bpo11+1" tells me its name could not be located.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It looks like it's trying to install all variants of the backport kernel. That's obviously what we don't want - thanks for the catch on this.

This command should only try to install one of the variants:

apt-get install linux-image-5.18.0-0.bpo.1-arm64/bullseye-backports

You may also want to check out a later 5.18 kernel:

apt-get install linux-image-5.18.0-0.deb11.4-arm64/bullseye-backports

I'll make an edit to the tips and techniques document to clarify this.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
toce
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Technogeezer,

Thx for getting back that quick.
I upgraded using your suggested latter one (the later 5.18 kernel).
Success!

The Debian-11 VM window can now be resized freely.
After installing the vm tools (section 4.3) and creating/configuring a shared folder (section 2.7) I'm mostly up-and-running.
And yup, audio needs some work...

And another tip for the manual:
For installing stuff from the backport you may want to use the apt -t option. This allows installing multiple backport packages in one go more easy.
Example:
apt-get install -t bullseye-backports open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop

Cheers & thx again

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

👍

And thanks for the tip, I'll include that in the next version.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos