VMware Communities
abbasali31
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 20.04arm freezes after the installation on Mac VMWare Technology preivew

Hello,

After installing, it just hangs.  See the attached screenshot.  Not sure what is going on?

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for the Fusion Tech Preview, not that I’ve reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It’s very likely you have installed one of the updated kernels that is giving the Tech Preview fits due to the latest round of Linux security updates. What ISO media did you use to install it (the exact file name, please) and when did you download it? 
If you can bring up the GRUB boot menu, examining the boot commands would help us determine exactly which kernel version is being booted. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
abbasali31
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Sir!  Here is the ubuntu file that I just downloaded and tried to install with the same error.
ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-arm64.iso

Not sure how to get into the GRUB menu since it freezes after the installation complete and reboot.  I took some screenshots while it was being installed to see if it helps.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just performed a pretty standard installation from the 20.04.4 LTS ISO that you indicated. As I feared, the default installation process is installing an updated kernel that has the "won't boot on the Tech Preview" problem (or as someone stated "Bad Kernel Week" problem).

You can get around this by following the instructions in https://gist.github.com/rhaleblian/44f2cb4418ee978603dc0b15dadf0e02

that were provided by a fellow community member. This procedure will not install an updated kernel during the installation process, and you will be able to boot the new VM.

Until this issue is addressed by VMware, you have to avoid updating the kernel. There has been advice posted here to exclude the kernel from future updates using the following:

apt-mark hold linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

You can verify that the kernel packages won't be upgraded by using

apt-mark showhold

When VMware releases a fix for the issue for the Tech Preview, we won't have to do this any longer.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
abbasali31
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  It worked!

0 Kudos