VMware Communities
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Ubuntu 20.04.4 will install on the 22H2 TP

Some good news for a change on Ubuntu.

I was able to install Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS arm64 on the 22H2 TP without having to make any modifications to the installer boot arguments.

I also have installed the ubuntu_desktop meta package, so I have a graphical desktop. The kernel is a 5.4 version with (supposedly) security updates, so the screen resolution is fixed.

I suspect if I install a mainline 5.19 kernel I'll get the ability to resize.

But... I have not been able to get 22.04 to install yet... 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

The tricky part is lining up the dependencies.

Would love to know your path for getting 20.04.4 booted. 

I found that rather than installing the kernel manually, I just installed the app Mainline and used that to bounce between kernels.

Installing 'mainline' (the app) is also tricky on arm64 since there's no release on this architecture.
However, I built it from source using the 5-step instructions and it builds without error and works great.

Shows the 5.19 generic kernel which can be easily installed from there.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Didn't have to do anything special. I downloaded the 20.04.4 installer (ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64.iso), built a VM by drag/dropping the installer ISO into the New Virtual Machine Dialog. The VM type is set to Ubuntu 64-bit Arm.

I increased the RAM to 4GB, number of cores to 4, and increased the virtual disk size to 40GB. I also deleted the sound and camera devices, to try to keep devices to a minimum.

Then booted the ISO installer. Nothing special to do after that point. Runs an older kernel so no display resizing. But open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop do install.

I did find the 5.19 kernel-header packages would not install on 20.04.4 - due to dependencies that you talk about. I'm right now forcing an upgrade of the 20.04.4 VM to 22.04 LTS and see if it boots, or if another kernel is available. Goal is at that point to try to re-install the 5.19 kernel.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

More good Ubuntu news.

I found a path to get to 22.04 LTS with a 5.19 mainline kernel from 20.04. A vanilla upgrade to 22.04 LTS will result in the same broken kernel issues we're seeing. But it's possible to inject a 5.19 kernel late into the upgrade and this VM will boot nicely.

Once you have 20.04 installed, take a snapshot. Always good to preserve a working VM while you're upgrading.

First, upgrade 20.04.4 to the dev branch of 22.04 LTS (evidently you'll have to wait to 22.04.1 in order to get a fully supported GA update path, but this will work for the time being). Drop into a root shell and execute the following to do this:

apt update
apt dist-upgrade
update-manager -d

You should now see a Software Update window and be offered an update to 22.04 LTS. Accept the upgrade.

The upgrade process will show release notes that warn you that you're on a development branch. That's OK. Accept the upgrade after reading the notes.

The upgrade will start. At times you'll be prompted for keyboard layouts, installation of Firefox from snap package, and what to do with an existing sshd configuration.

You may also see dialogs pop up for Ubuntu system errors. I simply dismissed them as they popped up - you might want to do that ASAP. I found the upgrade would behave funny when I let those error dialogs collect. The next time I performed the upgrade, I dismissed those errors as soon as they happened, and the upgrade went much more smoothly.

You will also get a request to delete obsolete packages. You are free to do so (I did).

The final step in the upgrade is an offer to reboot the system. Don't reboot. Instead, return to the root shell.

At this point, install the 5.19 mainline kernel. I've attached a script which automates the download into the current working directory. Once you get the packages downloaded, install the new kernel with this command:

dpkg -i *.deb

(of course an alternative would be to build the "mainline" utility that @Mikero mentions).

Once the install finishes, reboot your VM.

You should now have a functional 22.04 VM, albeit with a non-standard kernel. Make sure you have installed open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools desktop. The screen can be resized from within the VM and the window size will change, although resizing the window doesn't seem to trigger a resolution change in the VM.

Good luck!

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice.. I just ran through the install of this:
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/20.04/release/
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/20.04/release/ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-arm64.iso 

No hitches, gets me a 5.4.0 kernel.
open-vm-tools installs, hgfs is there too (tho I suspect using the 'slow' path at present.)

Tho I didn't install the desktop manager, which I assume you did manually.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Nice!

I have the next rev of the tips and techniques doc ready to be published tomorrow that includes  not only 20.04 LTS but a documented procedure to get it to 22.04+5.19 kernel (with screen shots). 

All’s not totally lost for Ubuntu, in spite of them. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried installing "mainline". Last step, I get:

peter@peter-virtual-machine:~$ cd mainline
peter@peter-virtual-machine:~/mainline$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for peter:
/bin/bash: line 1: dpkg-parsechangelog: command not found
valac --enable-deprecated -X -w -X -D'INSTALL_PREFIX="/usr"' -X -D'BRANDING_SHORTNAME="mainline"' -X -D'BRANDING_LONGNAME="Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer"' -X -D'BRANDING_VERSION="1.0.15"' -X -D'BRANDING_AUTHORNAME="Brian K. White"' -X -D'BRANDING_AUTHOREMAIL="b.kenyon.w@gmail.com"' -X -D'BRANDING_WEBSITE="https://github.com/bkw777/mainline"' -X -D'GETTEXT_PACKAGE="mainline"' -X -D'URI_KERNEL_UBUNTU_MAINLINE="https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/"' --Xcc="-lm" \
--pkg glib-2.0 --pkg gio-unix-2.0 --pkg posix --pkg gee-0.8 --pkg json-glib-1.0 \
src/Common/*.vala src/Utility/*.vala src/Console/*.vala -o mainline
/bin/bash: line 1: valac: command not found
make: *** [Makefile:70: mainline] Error 127

Any idea what's going on here?

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You missed a step. The sequence is

cd mainline

make

sudo make install

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Good catch. Thanks. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Mannyman
Contributor
Contributor

I got 22.04 working, 

1. install 20.04 arm server with 5.4 kernel.

2. install mainline from source, build and install it

3. get kernel 5.19.0 --> sudo mainline --install 5.19.0

3. do the upgrade of 20.04 sudo apt update && apt upgrade

4. upgrade to 22.04 --> sudo do-release-upgrade

I checked the kernel after the upgrade with the mainline command again, just to be sure it kept the kernel as in step 3.

Now I installed KDE plasma and got chromium browser and its doing 220 in speedometer.

had to do this twice as first time I forgot to set larger volume of harddrive. 

working great.

Update: geekbench5 for arm gave me 1722 single core and 12292 multicore with all 10 cores activated in vmware fusion. dam.

Im using M1 Max laptop with 32gb memory

0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@palter Thanks. I  guess I had been working on it too long. Could have sworn I did all 5 steps correctly 🤔 Working now.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
myitcv
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer just followed your "Tips and Techniques for the Fusion 22H2 Tech Preview for Apple Silicon" guide and for Ubuntu 22.04. Worked without any issues at all. Thank you very much for saving me a huge amount of pain. Please let me know if/how I can buy you a coffee!

0 Kudos