VMware Communities
demonstrable
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to open MacOS 10.6 virtual machine on Fusion Tech Preview on M1 MacBook Pro

I downloaded the Fusion Tech Preview, which I understood to be for M1 Macs.

I have a virtual machine running MacOS Server 10.6 that I created with a previous version of VMWare Fusion some years ago in order to be able to run some software that is no longer supported by Apple, but which I need to access a number of legacy files important for my work.

I realise that there are issues with Windows virtual machines on the M1 / non-Intel Macs, but hoped that a virtual Mac machine would be possible.

Can someone tell me if this is not the case — i.e. that I will not be able to upgrade my older virtual Mac machine so the I can access this virtual Mac and the files it contains on my new M1 Mac with the new M! version of Fusion, please?

I hope this is clear. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You can't.

As noted in the preview guide - no x86 VM can, or will ever, run on an M1 mac, and OSX Guests are not supported (even Big Sur isn't supported).

If you need files from it, there are options to attach that virtual disk to an ARM based VM and extract the files.  You would need however, a Linux VM and appropriate HFS+ file system drivers to make that work.  I'm not sure if that's part of any linux distro.

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@demonstrable wrote:

I downloaded the Fusion Tech Preview, which I understood to be for M1 Macs.

I have a virtual machine running MacOS Server 10.6 that I created with a previous version of VMWare Fusion some years ago in order to be able to run some software that is no longer supported by Apple, but which I need to access a number of legacy files important for my work.

I realise that there are issues with Windows virtual machines on the M1 / non-Intel Macs, but hoped that a virtual Mac machine would be possible.

Can someone tell me if this is not the case — i.e. that I will not be able to upgrade my older virtual Mac machine so the I can access this virtual Mac and the files it contains on my new M1 Mac with the new M! version of Fusion, please?

I hope this is clear. Thanks for your help.

Everything already written here applies in your case too. You can't upgrade your old VM and magically make it work.

Please note that currently Mac OS guests are not supported at all. It's not same situation as for Windows, which mostly works, but doesn't have proper drivers because of the licensing issues. Mac OS guests don't work at all and you can't do anything to make them work in VMware (at least I am not aware of any way to do it, even I already tried few things).

Main problem is that VMware team needs to use completely new virtualization API that is only available for Monterey (which is not finished yet and still in beta). Even when they add support for Mac OS guest, it will most likely be limited to Monterey and never versions of Mac OS. So, I understand they decision to wait before they add that.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's exactly zero chance of older MacOS versions ever running on an M1.  They're Intel-only.

0 Kudos