VMware Communities
rgov
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble with GDB debug stub and arm64 Linux guest

I'm going to give the "collecting support information" window until the end of writing this post to complete, but I can't tell if it's actually doing anything.

I have an Ubuntu 20.04 arm64 guest and I'm trying to debug the Linux kernel.

With debugStub.hideBreakpoints = "TRUE", when I set a breakpoint on a `ret` instruction I'm interested in, and continue, the kernel seems to enter a loop and the `ret` instruction breakpoint just gets hit again and again rather than control flow continuing forward.

If I set `debugStub.hideBreakpoints = "FALSE"`, upon connecting the debugger and continuing execution, the VM process seems to crash, and I need to restart VMware Fusion to boot the VM up again.

This is with Fusion Tech Preview 22H2.

Aside: I'm not sure if debugStub.listen.guest64.remote is supposed to work or not; I can't connect to the debug stub from another machine without using SSH port forwarding.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Which kernel version is in use on the Ubuntu 20.04 installation?

Also, is Fusion reporting the crash as an error, or is the Linux kernel reporting a crash?

I'd collect a support bundle and contact VMware in any case. You might want to drop an email to fusion_beta@vmware.com for a more direct conversation with @Mikero and the development team. It also might not be a bad idea to drop a note in the Ubuntu forums. 

SSH port forwarding should IMO only be necessary if you have configured NAT (or "share with my Mac") networking. You shouldn't need port forwarding for a bridged network connection. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
rgov
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer wrote:

Which kernel version is in use on the Ubuntu 20.04 installation?

The kernel package was linux-image-5.4.0-26.

Also, is Fusion reporting the crash as an error, or is the Linux kernel reporting a crash?

Fusion itself was crashing. Not the UI but the backend virtualization process.

0 Kudos