VMware Communities
RSLC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trouble Installing Ubuntu 18.04 arm server to VMWare Fusion for Apple Silicon

hello,

Currently I'm trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using VMWare Fusion for Apple Silicon. I found a lot of document for installing Ubuntu 20.04, but I barely found document for installing Ubuntu 18.04. So, I need help to solve the problem here. 

Environment

M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14 inch, VMWare Fusion for Apple Silicon Tech Preview

Problem

I downloaded "ubuntu-18.04.6-server-arm64.ISO" file from Ubuntu web page. And try to install Ubuntu by mounting the ISO file on VMWare. I can go through setup menu however at the installing step of "Detect and mount CD-ROM", I face the error that indicate "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again". I checked that the ISO is definitely mounted in setting of the virtual machine.

Is there any solutions for this problem?

Thank you for your cooperation

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded and tried it. Same as you. The issue is that kernel isn't detecting the VMware CD-ROM device or the VMware SATA controller. Nor that ISO boot from the CD if you change its bus type to SCSI.

That installer is using a 4.x kernel. That's an old kernel.  I'd stop beating your head against the wall and use the 20.04, which is known to work. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Probably a requirement to be on 5.  But not too current because of the latest breaking fix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded and tried it. Same as you. The issue is that kernel isn't detecting the VMware CD-ROM device or the VMware SATA controller. Nor that ISO boot from the CD if you change its bus type to SCSI.

That installer is using a 4.x kernel. That's an old kernel.  I'd stop beating your head against the wall and use the 20.04, which is known to work. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Probably a requirement to be on 5.  But not too current because of the latest breaking fix.

0 Kudos
RSLC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Technogeezr,

I really appreciate for your trying. 

Background of my try is that I'd like to use ROS Melodic on my M1 Pro laptop, but ROS Melodic should be installed over Ubuntu 18.04.

With other virtualization software "UTM", I could run Ubuntu 18.04 on my M1 Pro laptop. Then, I want to compare performance between UTM and VMWare, so I'm trying to run Ubuntu 18.04.

I could not find document referring same situation in web. but you tried and inferred a reason, so now I can give up to run Ubuntu 18.04 on VMWare. 

Thank you for your cooperation!!

0 Kudos
RSLC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dlhotka,

Thank you for your advice.

But, I'm not so good at Ubuntu, so could you tell me what "5" means? If it means Ubuntu 18.05 I could not find document for 18.05... or something else?

Appreciate for taking your time.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think what @ColoradoMarmot was referring to is a Linux kernel version of 5.x, not a Ubuntu version.

You might want to see if the ROS software has a later version. Some cursory searching seems to indicate that they have a newer version that’s targeted for Ubuntu 20.04. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
RSLC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Technogeezer, 

Oh, I see! I got it and thank you for your supplement.

Yes, as you said ROS have later version for Ubuntu 20.04, but I need to run Ubuntu 18.04 to use some package for ROS that just can run on Ubuntu 18.04.

Anyway, really appreciate for your try and advice!

Thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
TRo202
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@RSLC Hi. I'm also trying to install Ubunutu 18.04 via UTM on my M1 laptop in order to use ROS Melodic, but I'm having trouble searching for the Ubuntu 18.04 (ARM) iso file. Could you please share how you got it? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/18.04.6/release/ubuntu-18.04.6-server-arm64.iso

- Paul (Technogeezer)
RSLC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

@TRo202 

As @Technogeezer mentioned, you can download iso file from that link.

Or, you can find different versions from link below.

https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/

thank you for your help @Technogeezer 

TRo202
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Technogeezer , @RSLC 

Thank you so much!! 

0 Kudos