VMware Communities
bryn1u
Contributor
Contributor

There is no way to shutdown/poweroff any VM Fusion. MacBook Pro M1.

For two days i have been trying to shutdown/poweroff VM and im shocked. I have never done it. I read manuals, google and so it doesn't work. Only options are suspend and resume. The power options like poweroff and suspend are available in setting which is put on screen. Based on documentation the buttons should change when i press "option"(Mac) but it doesn't work. Im asking myself why did you hide that options? Why it's not available like for most VM clients? Why do you want to make it harder for people? To poweroff a machine people need to read documentation, really? Could you please tell me how can i shutdown VM on MacBook Pro M1.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Umm..... just go into the guest OS and shutdown there, like any other computer?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you're trying to do these operations from the Virtual Machine Library window, you're looking in the wrong place. They're in the Virtual Machines menu on the macOS menu bar for VMware Fusion.

The documentation "Using VMware Fusion 12" https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/12/fusion-12-user-guide.pdf (section 5) points you to using the Virtual Machine menu on the Mac menu bar.

Technogeezer_0-1642793222461.png

Hitting Option here will change the values of the top items based on the power-on state of the VM. 

The operation you select will be applied to the virtual machine that you have highlighted in the Virtual Machine Library (or alternatively the active window of a virtual machine that you have clicked in).

You also customize the console window of the virtual machine to get shutdown and suspend icons.. Right click on the toolbar at the top of the window

Technogeezer_2-1642793566981.png

And you can add Shutdown and Pause/Unpause icons to it:

Technogeezer_1-1642793517499.png

What is the virtual machine that you're trying to run where this doesn't work? The settings that you posted in your screen shot should make those items in my screen shot appear in the Virtual Machines menu (with using "option" changing them to the other values in the settings panel).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@RDPetruska wrote:

Umm..... just go into the guest OS and shutdown there, like any other computer?

🤔 Yeah, that'll work too. Forgot about that one...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos