VMware Communities
0hday
Contributor
Contributor

The M1 not working on Vmware calamity VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg - file not found

I'm aware of the fact that many of us have M1 MAC PRO's that cannot run Vmware Fusion however I"m now trying to install the VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-19431034_arm64.dmg which is supposed to be the trial run and cannot finish out the install. I've seen another thread suggesting deletion of previous install , this hasn't worked . Has anyone run through this install or better still come up against 'file not found' during the install of the dmg? I used a license file that another forum member pasted for the install. This is as far as I can it .

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TerryBorchers
Contributor
Contributor

My project has ground to a halt thanks to the inability to run Fusion on my new Mac Studio. Should have checked it out first. My bad. I get a different error when launching this "test" version. 

"This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host."

This truly is a calamity for VMWare, which for many years I've bragged about . . . no more!! They have had plenty of time to adapt to the M1 and is one of the reasons I've held off getting one for a time. Guess I didn't wait long enough.

Not a happy camper and no hint as to when a version for the M1 will be available.

0hday
Contributor
Contributor

thanks , yes come on Vmware so many of us have invested in hardware and projects related to virtualization , this situation has high visibility and needs to be sorted in order to retain customers . there are mickey mouse operations out there getting close to providing virtualization products on M1 chips , I'd rather the company that led this industry fix this , it looks like Vmware have given up.

if support or anyone else can apply some good news here please do !

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This thread needs moving to the area of the forum for Fusion Tech Preview, so I have reported it to moderators.

Please wait for it to be moved and don’t create a duplicate.

You also need to note that “support” don’t look at these forum, the forum is for users to help other users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So, lots of comments in the thread.

First, there is no M1 Mac pro yet.  Was hinted at last year, but hasn't been released yet, so not sure what machine you're referring to.  In any case, you shouldn't need to do anything special to install the tech preview as long as you uninstalled Fusion before migrating from an intel machine, and are installing (and uninstalling) on an unmanaged machine as an administrator user.  If you didn't, then delete the intel version (drag to the trash, reboot, empty trash) and the new one installs just fine - without entering a license key.

As for the intel issue, Fusion is virtualization software not emulation.  There is no technical option to emulate x86/64 at the OS level with anything resembling decent performance (see QEMU).  it's not commercially viable to do so.  If you need Intel guests, run an Intel machine.  That's not going to change anytime in the foreseeable future.  Similar to the fact that can't put diesel in a gas engine, you can't run an Intel OS on an ARM chip.

For ARM guests, there are a lot of us using Fusion today (with amazing performance).  The linux install issues are due to a linux bug (Mike's posted last week that we'll see a fix for that in July).  The windows issues are due to microsoft licensing limitations (and he's hinted that we will have better Windows support in July as well - looking forward to that).

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

That's not going to change anytime in the foreseeable future.  Similar to the fact that can't put diesel in a gas engine, you can't run an Intel OS on an ARM chip.

@0hday,@TerryBorchers - Agreed with @dlhotka 100%. Parallels is also in the same boat. They can not virtualize Intel operating systems on Apple Silicon either.

The “calamity” of not being able to virtualize x86_64 operating systems on the M1 Macs is not VMware’s or Parallels’ fault. If you have to blame anyone, blame Apple for switching their hardware off of Intel chips.

And I will stop you before you say Rosetta. It does not provide a solution either. Rosetta performs a one-time translation of user mode Intel macOS applications. This is a much easier task than a full chip emulation complete with privileged mode instructions/functionality needed to support an entire operating system.

And emulated x86_64 performance as demonstrated by QEMU is nothing to write home about. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos