VMware Communities
izeyad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shared folders on Linux arm64

Hey everyone,

I am using the VMWare Tech Preview on the new MacBook Pro's with an M1 Pro processor. I've installed a Debian distro and got everything working, then built the 'open-vm-tools' from the official VMWare GitHub repo, and it appears to have installed properly.

However, I am not able to locate 'vmhgfs-fuse', so I am not able to mount the shared drives. Running 'vmware-hgfsclient' shows the shared drives, but I cannot mount them without 'vmhgfs-fuse'.

Has anyone been able to mount the shared drives on the tech preview, or would we have to wait for the official release of VMWare for M1 with open-vm-tools for arm64? Also, has anyone found a way to build and install 'open-vm-tools-desktop' on arm64, as this should also solve the issue?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
logopk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you @roqueeee

Where can I set vmwgfx.enable_fbdev=1?

0 Kudos
roqueeee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You could follow these instructions, assuming you are using grub: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks @roqueeee - I confirmed that this fixed the issue for me as well. If you don't mind, I'll add this tip to the tips and techniques document I maintain in the Tech Preview Documents section,

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
roqueeee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Technogeezer Sure, go ahead!

In this case it might be justified to ask the package maintainer to kindly enable this option by default. As it stands now, anyone using Debian minimal inside VMware Fusion will boot to a black screen using 5.15 on arm64.

0 Kudos