VMware Communities
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

Shared clipboard in Windows 11?

I upgrade Fusion to 22H2 and, following the Fusion-TP-22H2-Testing-Guide, installed and activated Windows 11 Pro for ARM with an ISO created from uupdump.net.  VMware Tools Drivers were installed.  All went relatively smoothly.   

Unfortunately, there is no shared clipboard between macOS and the Windows 11 guest.  There is no Sharing item the the Virtual Machine menu.  Did I miss something? 

Clipboard sharing works well on my Debian guests with open-vm-tools installed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Expected behavior. It is stated in the testing guide that cut/paste between the host (Mac) and VM is not implemented yet for VMware Tools for Windows 11 ARM. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  I missed it in the guide.  I used your ⇧-fn-F10 trick for installing the VMware Tools as well.  The effort you put into documenting and helping is appreciated.

0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

There is roundabout solution.

If you insert USB drive ExFAT formatted, it will ask for option to connect to Mac or windows. You can select windows. Then you can cut and paste files/folders from windows to USB. Then remove USB and reinsert. Now select MACOS. Now you can you cut and paste from USB to macOS.

0 Kudos
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

Here is another workaround... 

1. Install the free Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App Store. 
  2. Open the Windows 11 VM and minimize the window.
  3. Connect to the Windows 11 VM through the Microsoft Remote Desktop app.
  4. Cut & Paste away...

To my knowledge, this is not shared folders, only a shared clipboard.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Note that the folder redirection feature of the Microsoft Remote Desktop app will give you a "shared folder"-like function.

The downside of the Microsoft Remote Desktop app is that it is an RDP connection, and it is not as "snappy" as running on the VM's 
console with its native VMware SVGA driver. It also does not work if the VM is a Home edition of Windows. Only Windows Pro and Enterprise editions will let you enable the RDP server on the Windows installation. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos