VMware Communities
alcedes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No operating systems will install on Fusion for Apple Silicon

I'm trying to get a VM up and running on Apple Silicon. I have the VMWare Fusion preview installed. I've downloaded ARM64 versions of Ubuntu, Debian, so on but the results are the same; the OS is not installing. When I power on the VM for Ubuntu I get as far as the screen that ask if I am trying to install/try the OS. When I confirm that I am, I end up with a black screen with a text cursor. It never progresses beyond this. On the other OS images I try for ARM64 Linux builds, I only get a black screen. Is there some special trick that I need to know to install an OS Image on the Fusion Preview for Mac Silicon.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which versions of Ubuntu and Debian are you trying to install? If you downloaded the latest releases such as Debian 11.3 or Ubuntu 22.04, they contain a Linux kernel that will not boot on the Tech Preview. This is due to a Linux kernel change from mid-March. There is no “trick” that you can use to make them boot. We are awaiting an updated Tech Preview as the problem is on the VMware side of things. 

The workaround would be to use a Debian or Ubuntu installer from before March 2022, and do not allow it to update  the kernel.

More information can be found from other posts in this forum.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which versions of Ubuntu and Debian are you trying to install? If you downloaded the latest releases such as Debian 11.3 or Ubuntu 22.04, they contain a Linux kernel that will not boot on the Tech Preview. This is due to a Linux kernel change from mid-March. There is no “trick” that you can use to make them boot. We are awaiting an updated Tech Preview as the problem is on the VMware side of things. 

The workaround would be to use a Debian or Ubuntu installer from before March 2022, and do not allow it to update  the kernel.

More information can be found from other posts in this forum.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I feel your pain.  I beat my head against this tech preview for a while and finally got a good working install.  I used Technogeezer's Tech Preview Tips and Techniques V7 (22-Apr-2022) as a guide for installing Debian 11.2 with GNOME.  His document is posted in this community somewhere.  I also kept my own notes.  These are attached...

0 Kudos
fabienmagagnosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sadly, we are all stuck now since a while, and on my side, we already postponed all our plan for 2022 to have amd64 and amr64 as the workstation side is clearly not ready, and working on Windows/ARM is actualyl not planned due to the lack of coherence for our developers and for the IT department (they slowly but surely descope ALL the microsoft Windows + hardware for MacOS X, and we are now (like me), having 2 laptops to buil the OS + applications images), but we'll look at the most efficient at the end (amd64 or arm64) for our customers and deployments procedures.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMWare's hinted something is coming in June...fingers crossed!

0 Kudos