VMware Communities
NJRonbo
Contributor
Contributor

No network connection VMware Fusion 22H2 Tech Preview

Pretty wild all the hoops one needs to go through to install this Preview on an M1 Mac

Installed Windows 11 and had to go through all the terminal commands to install Windows without network connectivity.  Then, once installed, I had to run VMWare Tools and another script through Windows Power Shell in order to get network connectivity back.

The problem?  To date, I have no network connectivity on my Virtual Machine.  The settings are for NAT which should technically work, but alas, no Internet connection to Windows 11.

Anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
39 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you carefully read through the Tech Preview Guide document and followed all its instructions for Win11 guests?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Also, see the unofficial Tech Preview Tips and Technique document https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Tips-and-Techniques-for-the-Apple-Silicon.... Use this in conjunction with the Official Tech Preview Testing Guide. The unofficial guide has an alternate procedure that installs the VMware Tools earlier in the process so you don’t have to disable network detection. 

The Windows 11 installation is a lot easier with the 22H2 Tech preview than it’s predecessor but can and should be easier in the upcoming official release. I expect Tools installation to be more like what you see today on the Intel Windows VM. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There are also intermittent issues with NAT networking that exist in Fusion and persist with the Tech Preview. Try fully shutting down the VM and quitting Fusion. Then start Fusion and the Windows VM and see if the problem persists. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
NJRonbo
Contributor
Contributor

Oh my goodness, I jumped through so many hoops during the installation process.

Yes, I read the instructions.

Reread my original post with all the hoops I had to go through to get this preview installed. Pretty crazy.

Still have no Internet connection even when shutting down Fusion completely, reopening and restarting Windows.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you boot the VM , open up the windows Device Manager and see what network devices are discovered?

also, can you try to switch the networking to Bridged instead of NAT and see if that changes anything.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you installing from an ISO from uupdump.net or from the vhdx from microsoft?

0 Kudos
NJRonbo
Contributor
Contributor

Installed Windows 11 ARM (64) from UUPdump.

During installation had to hit F10 to bypass the Windows installation internet connection issue.  Once I did that I was able to install it without connecting to the Internet.

After installation, I installed VMWARE TOOLS and then ran the script using Windows PowerShell.  That was supposed to restore the Internet connection.

Switched from NAT to BRIDGE and back again. None of those options work.

Opened Windows Device Manager and could not find anything related to the network.  Went into Windows Network settings and nothing looks out of the ordinary there unless I am looking at the wrong thing.

I am just going to wait it out and hope that another release of VMWAREFUSION will correct this issue.

Thank you, everyone, for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

(duplicate post)

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of thoughts cross my mind.

Can you post a copy of the .vmx file of your VM?

Can you shut down the VM, go to the VM settings and:

• in General: make sure the VM type is set to "Windows 11 64-bit ARM",
  • delete and re-add the network adapter.

Then power up the VM, reinstall VMware Tools, and then see if you have network and if a network device is found in the Windows Device Manager.

I’ve seen instances of Windows not recognizing the graphics adapter in the cases of

• using a Windows VM created under the prior version of the Tech Preview or 
  • the virtual machine type is not set to Windows 11 64-bit Arm. 

In these cases, the virtual network adapter will be created with a e1000e virtual network adapter. The VMware Tools networking driver requires a vmxnet3 virtual network adapter. Setting the virtual machine OS to Windows 11 will allow the VM to create a virtual network adapter with a vmxnet3 adapter type.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just so we're on the same page the powershell script is how you install the tools (there's no separate installer).  Both the command, and the installer need to run from powershell with admin rights (not from terminal/cmd prompt as the readme indicates).

0 Kudos
NJRonbo
Contributor
Contributor

Okay...

Went into Settings and it is indeed indicating Windows 11 ARM

From the same Settings I deleted Network Adapter and then immediately added Network Adapter

Opened Windows 11.  Installed VMWARE TOOLS and ran using Powershell

No Internet connection

Went to Device Manager in Windows and have included a screenshot below of what I see.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Could you post a copy of the configuration (.vmx) file for this VM? 

And which Windows 11 ARM build are you running? I'd like to see if I can reproduce this.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had an interesting experience today.  I started my Windows 11 guest in the 22H2 preview and it could not get an IPv4 address.  I was set to bridged autodetect.  I switched to Share and Share worked.  Switching back to Bridged Autodetect did not work.  On a whim I switched to Bridged Wi-Fi and got prompted for admin credentials from VMware to add a bridge to Wi-Fi.  I did this and got an IP address, but the connection was going in and out.  I switched back to Bridged Autodetect, and then the network connection was normal.  

0 Kudos
myitcv
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to find the best issue in the forum to track for network related issues.

My setup:

Host: M1 Max, macoS 12.6
Guest: Debian bookworm, 5.19.0-1-arm64, mesa 22.2.0~rc2-1
Network: "Share with my Mac" - ("Bridged Networking - Autodetect" suffers the same problem)

Whenever I start my VM, network works 100% of the time. 

Then seemingly randomly throughout the day, the network drops.

$ ping 8.8.8.8
ping: connect: Network is unreachable
$ ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: ens160: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:0c:29:49:86:be brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp2s0
inet 192.168.223.134/24 brd 192.168.223.255 scope global dynamic ens160
valid_lft 1513sec preferred_lft 1513sec
inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe49:86be/64 scope link
3: br-1ad5ef3b8a38: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default
link/ether 02:42:97:b5:79:57 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 172.20.0.1/16 brd 172.20.255.255 scope global br-1ad5ef3b8a38
4: docker0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default
link/ether 02:42:ef:a4:02:ae brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 172.17.0.1/16 brd 172.17.255.255 scope global docker0
5: br-f525da0cb8a2: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default
link/ether 02:42:df:bc:66:c4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 172.21.0.1/16 brd 172.21.255.255 scope global br-f525da0cb8a2

There doesn't appear to be any pattern to when this happens. It has happened ~10 times today, but not once yesterday. The only difference that I can roughly tell since yesterday is that I've been connecting and disconnecting my Bluetooth headset more often, which has resulted in sound switching to/from a USB mic+headset. 

Are there any logs anywhere I can inspect to see what has gone wrong?

Can I help debug this in any way?

Please also let me know if this information is best captured in another post.

0 Kudos
myitcv
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I'm now up to ~20 network drops today. 

I'm starting to think this massive jump in frequency is related to the macOS upgrade that happened this morning on my machine.

@mikeroySoft very happy to help debug this in any way I can to help, because ~20 network drops a day, with a VM shutdown each time is a little painful! 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Report this through email to fusion-beta@vmware.com

That gets directly to Michael Roy and the development team.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
thegreatmattman
Contributor
Contributor

Running Win11 Pro Insider Preview latest on a Mac Studio. Didn't have networking. Installed powertools to 😧 drive. Couldn't run setup.ps1 because Windows had an execution policy by default preventing Powershell from running commands. I had to open a command prompt with admin access then type "powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File D:\setup.ps1" This bypassed policy, then installed the missing drivers. Immediately Network card "vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter showed up and internet was working. Internet search "remove execution policy powershell for ps1" yielded the answer.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

All of this is covered in the preview guide.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

yah, I literally wrote exactly how to do this, step by step. No Googling required!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos