VMware Communities
BertrandD_Paris
Contributor
Contributor

New MACBOOK PRO 16' 2022

I am found of Fusion Pro.

I would like to buy a new Macbook Pro 16' (2022) with M1 Processor.

Will I be able to instal a version of Fusion running with M1 processors ?

What do you suggest me ?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The tech preview runs pretty well, but with some limitations for Windows - read the preview guide.

Note that you will have to build ARM based virtual machines.  Intel VM's will not run (and that won't change).

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You should read the article https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/Running-Fusion-on-an-Intel-Mac-and-upgradi... as there are important things you need to know about running Fusion on an Apple Silicon (M1) Mac. Spoiler alert: Fusion on Apple Silicon can not run virtual machines whose operating system requires an Intel CPU..

For the time being, you have to run the Fusion 22H2 Tech Preview pre-release software on Apple Silicon Macs. The released versions of Fusion 12 will not work on Apple Silicon. You can find the preview  here:https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-Tech-Preview-22H2/ct-p/3022 . We are expecting VMware to release the next version of VMware Fusion later this year, which should contain official support for Apple Silicon Macs.

If you decide to use the Tech Preview while we're waiting for the next official version, you should download and thoroughly read both the Tech Preview Testing Guide and the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide - they contain important information for running the Tech Preview and will greatly enhance your chances of success.

Please note this is pre-release software and will expire in about another 144 days. Many users have been running it quite successfully despite the fact that it's technically pre-release software.

But here's the disclaimer: There is no official support for the Tech Preview. You are expected to report any problems you find with it to VMware, but there is no guarantee that they will update the Tech Preview to fix any reported problems.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

FYI, new 14” and 16” MacBook Pros with M2 Pro/Max processors should be available soon (there are rumours about them being announced this month): personally, anyway, I’ll wait for them, before making the transition to Apple Silicon (as there are chances that they will eventually support more evolved virtualisation features, such as nested VMs: well, let’s hope)…

0 Kudos