VMware Communities
jonathanzg12
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Store win11 does not work with arm install

Hello,

I was able to install Windows 11 arm with Fusion on an M1 MacMini, but the Microsoft Store does not work.  I installed Win 11 converting the VHDX to VMDK and also using UUP dump to create an ISO.  In some installs the MS Store opens and closes immediately, and other installs the MS store is not installed at all.  I searched on google on how to fix this (reinstalling the MS store, using terminal commands, etc.)but no fix worked.  Everything else works ok, any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I've noted the same thing too. Also didn't seem to work on a UTM virtual machine either.

I've tried many different suggestions from all over the web to try and get the Microsoft Store to load, and nothing seems to work. Parallels does seem to get it to work, but who knows what kind of magic they are doing. They used to have instructions on how to enable the Microsoft Store manually in one of their tech notes, but have removed them and replaced the instructions with "install their tools".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
natan1980
Contributor
Contributor

eu  consegui resolver esse problema instalando as ferramentas da microsoft manualmente.agora funciona normalmente

0 Kudos
jonathanzg12
Contributor
Contributor

Could you explain exactly what you did? What Microsoft Tools? Where did you download them from?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jonathanzg12
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to fix this! I went to start menu, all apps, at the bottom of the list is Microsoft tools.  I ran them, selected component services, selected in the left pane services and looked for the Microsoft Store install service, stopped it and restarted it.  After this, I ran the store and worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Well I just did a fresh install of the 22000.318 retail build obtained from uupdump.net. After installation I set it up as attached to my Microsoft account and "restored" settings from my previous incarnation of the VM that I overwrote.

Lo and behold, the Microsoft Store came up.

I haven't a clue what I did differently than in past versions of Windows 11 ARM, with the lone exception of accepting the prompt to set up the system from another one.

🤔

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
jlalbo
Contributor
Contributor

I tried both methods explained here, the Microsoft Tools method and importing configuration from previous VM, with no results. I don't have de MS Store in my VM. If I install Windows ARM with the same ISO in Parallels, the store is there, so it is not an ISO problem but an VMware installation procedure issue, I think. 

Any one with the same problem and another solution?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Few things - if you're using the ISO that parallels provides, don't.  You'll also need to both activate windows and make sure you're logged in.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'd first make sure you've upgraded to a Windows 11 22H2 build - I found some things that were wonky in 21H2 with the Microsoft Store. 

Try the following:

Open up a command line (run as administrator).

Issue the following command:

wsreset.exe -i

Wait for two items to be downloaded and installed  (you can track this through Notifications within Windows). This will take a while so please be patient:

• Store Experience Host
  • Microsoft Store

Then see if Microsoft Store is there.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
jlalbo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much @Technogeezer. That worked for me. Great!

0 Kudos