VMware Communities
Clemond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

M2 Nested virtualization on MacOS Ventura

Since both products were there for a while, could anyone share some info on this topic?

I did some Google search. Most of the discussions happened before Ventura was released and majority of them are just guessing. Since this feature requires support from both CPU and OS

The only useful info are in a twitter thread (which I am no longer able to find) where a VMWare person mentioned in M2 apple enabled access to some CPU register so could be possible. But no details are given.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I would take a look at the release notes and documentation for the new Fusion 13 coming next week. I would hope that there would be some indication in there. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

The only reason I’m waiting to upgrade to Apple Silicon is exactly this one: will nested virtualisation be possible, at all…? Most people seem to say that it’s not possible, due to hardware limitations, on the M1, but would in theory be possible on the M2 (Pro/Max/Ultra/Extreme): but, in this case, would it still be necessary to wait for Apple to implement it in its frameworks, or could a third party like VMware also do it directly? Indeed, let’s hope that the Fusion 13 release notes will give some more clarity, here…

0 Kudos
Clemond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My situation is the same. Also wish M2 Max could give larger ram options.

I managed to find the twitter thread which is actually answered by VMWare official twitter: https://twitter.com/VMwareFusion/status/1534566168853221376 

So guess we have to wait for the release note. Plus it is already a week since https://twitter.com/mikeroySoft/status/1590419866040688640

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you want more than M2 Max, there's the studio (and upcoming pro).

Going to be interesting to see how this all evolves over the next few iterations of hardware and OS for sure.  I'm also very curious to see if, since the graphics are native to the Mx chips, if there's 3d support possible for MacOS  guests, or if we're still limited by the OS level hooks.

0 Kudos
Clemond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos