VMware Communities
lenbal
Contributor
Contributor

M1 silicon tech preview license

Hi, I installed the Fusion for M1 yesterday and it worked fine with all features.

I then accidentally entered the intel based trial license key into the M1 "free tech preview" and now the remote server connect option is gone and I cannot get back to the 115 day free M1 tech trial anymore.
i cannot remove this intel trial key from my Mac M1. Tried uninstalling but it keeps remembering.
Any suggestion how to get back to the M1 tech preview with remote server feature? There is no such product available to buy and I need the remote server feature to access my ESXi machines.

Or any ways to make my Mac forget the key?  I deleted all folders/files suggested by the official guide after "uninstalling" and then rebooted but this won't forget the licence.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure what exactly you mean by "official guide" - the user manual for Fusion does not contain uninstall instructions other than deleting the Fusion application bundle. My go-to resource for a complete uninstall of Fusion is https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 , which has a more complete discussion on where auxiliary files created by a Fusion installation are located.

From looking at my Tech Preview installation, the license key information appears to be in a file located in /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion  (this is /Library, not the Library folder in your home directory). Did you delete the files in that directory?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
lenbal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes that was the KB article I used, and I deleted the files and folders from both ~/Library and /Library.

Now something changed, it was quite interesting. I did all the cleanup, reboot, and reinstalled. It still remembered the serial key, it did not offer to try for X days or anything, it was filled in with a key and there was the green checkbox beside it. Now I checked again, restarted everything again, and now it forgot the "bad: license key. Not sure at what point did it forget it but now it's working again perfectly and says no licence key is entered 🙂

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmm. Old Jedi mind trick it must be.  

Perhaps there’s some secret voodoo or magic incantation that VMware is doing under the hood with this tech preview. 
Glad you got it taken care of. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
lenbal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, not sure but I won't try it again any soon:) Turning it off and on again works if you do it enough times:) Now I'm happy again with my 117 days of evaluation period.

0 Kudos