VMware Communities
thedebugger11
Contributor
Contributor

M1 Fusion tech preview 30 days license expiry

Hi there,

I installed M1 fusion preview a month ago. Starting today, I got a warning message that  license is expiring in a day. I expected it to be 120 days based on previous post[1]..right? I did install a normal version of fusion (which I uninstalled) before i installed m1 fusion preview. Could that be causing it to expire in 30 days? I checked that this file exists /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license-fusion-120-e4-202001. I tried adding license from this file but it didn't work. What am i doing wrong? Or do I need a license for m1 preview?  Would it work if I buy it?

Thanks,

Sumit

[1] https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/M1-silicon-tech-preview-license/m-p/...

0 Kudos
18 Replies
vdanen
Contributor
Contributor

At least you were able to download... I've tried on and off for a month but on every attempt I get "We cannot complete your request at this time. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible".  =(

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@thedebugger11 wrote:

Hi there,

I installed M1 fusion preview a month ago. Starting today, I got a warning message that  license is expiring in a day. I expected it to be 120 days based on previous post[1]..right? I did install a normal version of fusion (which I uninstalled) before i installed m1 fusion preview. Could that be causing it to expire in 30 days? I checked that this file exists /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license-fusion-120-e4-202001. I tried adding license from this file but it didn't work. What am i doing wrong? Or do I need a license for m1 preview?  Would it work if I buy it?

Thanks,

Sumit

As it is clearly stated, this preview doesn't require you to obtain license, but as I accidentally discovered few months ago and posted here, this preview will use a license for Intel if you provide one or if it find it on your disk.

Since you installed trail version of VMWare Fusion for Intel, it created a temporary license file in your /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion folder. ARM version loads that license (which will expire soon) and that's why you are getting that message.

Try to remove all license files from /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion folder (or to completely remove that folder) and eventually to uninstall and reinstall VMWare for ARM if that alone doesn't work.

If you are not using VMWare for your business, you can apply for a free personal license which will work for both Intel and ARM and you are allowed to use same one for both machines, as long as it is not used for business. You can find more information in the thread I linked above.

thedebugger11
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalling, cleanup up remaining files manually & installing again gave me another 2 months of window. I also talked to support and they suggested i create new profiles for now if I want to continue using longer & vmware doesn't come up with an official release. And, I Can't use the personal license for work I'm doing. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

We really need an answer from VMware ( @Mikero  ) on this one. My copy of the Tech Preview indicates it's got another 20-ish days, and that's even after completely uninstalling (including deleting the existing license file) and re-installing it. There must be a hard expiration date in the embedded key.  I don't have a Fusion Pro license to install on it to keep it running at the same functionality. 

I would also be nice (hint, hint) if we could have an update to the Tech Preview. at the same time.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update coming next week with a new key that will extend this TP.

Unclear if it's going to be a 'click check for updates and click next', or if we'll have to have users re-download (trying to do the former, but the update tool wasn't originally designed to handle TPs, but we're hoping we can make it work that way.).

I'll also be updating the installation guide with more details around newer linux distros, as well as a definitive 'how to do Windows 11 currently', licensing issues aside.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Tags (1)
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero wrote:

Update coming next week with a new key that will extend this TP.

I'll also be updating the installation guide with more details around newer linux distros, as well as a definitive 'how to do Windows 11 currently', licensing issues aside.

👍👍

🎉 

👏

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Fusion Public Tech Preview 21H1 build 19431034 is just released.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/get-download?downloadGroup=FUS-PUBTP-2021H1&download=tr...

0 Kudos
Odaeus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I received this auto-update but it immediately informed me that my license is going to run out in a few days. I reinstalled from the Tech Preview download page and it's unfortunately the same. I have 5 days remaining. I was previously a paid user of the Fusion on Intel if that makes a difference, but I assume the licenses aren't transferrable yet.

Any hints on what to do would be very welcome!

VMware Fusion Professional Version e.x.p (19431034) on MacBook Pro 14" 2021 with MacOS 12.1.

Cheers,
Andrew

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Try completely uninstalling the Tech Preview using instructions in the KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838, reboot, then reinstall the Tech Preview. VMs will not be touched. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
a_shaheen
Contributor
Contributor

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the tech preview to reset the license. I followed your referenced KB at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 but even after removing all the files listed that I had, and rebooting, after a reinstall it still has 5 days left on the evaluation.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you empty the trash and reboot after removing all the files?

And are you sure  you have the new DMG?

0 Kudos
Odaeus
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm installing the latest DMG from the download page doesn't update the license. But removing VMWare Fusion Tech Preview completely (I used the AppCleaner app), rebooting (just in case), and installing from the latest DMG file worked for me.

You can see the difference in the installer as it presents a pre-filled license key and you just have to click next.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
kmahyyg
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Remove the folder you've mentioned WITHOUT reinstallation is working.

Then it directly generated a new serial number on the license request window, I just copied here for convenience: JH01K-TFJ11-K8RJ3-0U8AH-20N30

0 Kudos
thedebugger11
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I removed older version, rebooted and installed new version - that works for me. The new version is valid for 300 days which is great.

0 Kudos
a_shaheen
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what I did, but after a reboot a week or so ago, it was back to the inital setup with a renewed license which worked as expected.

0 Kudos
sabibo
Contributor
Contributor

This link no longer works:  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838

How to completely uninstall?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Try again and clear your browser cache first. The link just worked for me. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
sabibo
Contributor
Contributor

Ah ok yes I see it now, thank you!

0 Kudos