VMware Communities
al_gara
Contributor
Contributor

Kali on VMware Fusion - unable to increase disk size

Hi all,

After I noticed that I ran out of disk space on kali machine I went ahead and increased it from 20Gb to 40Gb. However, the change didn't take effect whatsoever - df still shows that disk is 20Gb, whereas it is set to 40Gb in VM settings.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Increasing the virtual disk's size does not modify any of the existing partitions on the hard drive.  You will need to use Linux partitioning and file system tools to resize/increase the existing partitioning for the root file system and then expand the ext4 file system to use the increased space.

This is not going to be straightforward as Kali likes to put the swap file at the end of the disk.  To expand the ext4 root file system, you need unallocated disk space adjacent to the existing file system.  Because of the way that Kali created the swap file, when you expand the virtual hard drive, the swap file now sits between the end of the root file system and the new space you want to use to expand it. The swap file needs to be moved so that all of the unallocated space sits adjacent to the existing root file system partition.

You may wish to search the web for advice on how best to manipulate a Kali VM's partitioning to use your newly allocated space. Before you do anything, though, shut down the VM and back it up (copy it) somewhere else for safe keeping.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
al_gara
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply! I was just about to start fiddling with fdisk...

0 Kudos