Contributor

KB 84273 in macbook pro M1

macOS Monterey V 12.0.1
Chip Apple M1

When I was trying to install

(1).

VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-18656771_arm64.dmg,

I got this error message

This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host.   (See KB-84273.)

(2) Next, 

VMware-Fusion-12.2.1-18811640_x86

I got this error message. 

This version of VMware Fusion is for Intel-based Macs, but is being run on an Apple silicon based Mac via Rosetta-2.

(See KB-84273)

Could you please anyone help me to install this in my M1 MacBook. 

106 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Parallels can't make an intel based VM work on an ARM computer.  No commercial product can or will ever do that.  If you need to run an Intel OS, you need to run an Intel computer.  It's like trying to put gasoline in a diesel engine.  Simply doesn't work.  There are some non-commercial hacks that have a rudimentary ability, but performance is so poor and unstable that they aren't realistic.

Fusion 13 has ARM support for Linux, and limited ARM support for Windows 11 ARM.  We're all disappointed in the lack of full Windows 11 ARM support, but have hopes that will come this year.  No question Fusion is behind Parallels on Windows ARM support at the moment - but they're both in the same place for intel OS support - that is, none.

If that's your use case, you need to convert your files on your old machine, then move to current tech.  XP needs to be on a completely airgapped machine, with no network access of any kind.  Using it today is like drinking eggnog from 2021.  Get an old Intel machine, run the VM to do one batch conversion, and then retire it permanently.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Nowhere does VMWare remotely imply that you can use Intel guests on ARM hosts.    Fusion is a virtualization product not an emulation product, and does exactly that - it virtualizes the CPU it's running on.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Technogeezer wrote:

[soapbox]

VMware could have explained the whole Apple Silicon upheaval to Fusion users in a white paper prominently promoted in their web site and documentation to make sure users knew what they were up against when they bought a new shiny M1 Mac. They didn’t and user expectations were shattered.  It got left to the community to fill in the gaps.

[end soapbox]

Personally, I strongly feel it was APPLE who should have done a much better job of informing their (existing and potential new) customers about the changes to THEIR product which they are touting/pushing onto them...  both the Pros AND the Cons of the new technology.  It shouldn't be up to a software vendor to explain to a hardware vendor's customers what happened and why their programs will no longer work!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@RDPetruska  I agree to an extent. Apple provided Rosetta to bridge the gap, but you had to dig into developer documentation to find out where the edge cases were. 

Where I disagree is that Apple is under no obligation to tell you how well a third party’s software will run on Apple Silicon - or if it will run at all. That’s the software vendor’s responsibility. 

Microsoft is no better than Apple when trying to figure out what Intel Windows applications will run on Windows 11 ARM from what I’m seeing. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If this is Microsoft's fault and not VMWare's, tell me that.

We all got used to thinking that all computers had Intel or AMD chips. Macs had Intel chips, so they could run PC operating systems (Windows) under Boot Camp, Fusion or Parallels.  

If you’re looking to assign blame for the situation, ultimately Apple is to blame.  They made the decision to move away from Intel chips in the Mac. All of the rest of the discussion is dealing with the collateral damage of that decision. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

As far as other software running on the Windows ARM64 client, I am using UTM rather than VMware Fusion Player (v13).  I have been running this for quite sometime and have not had any issues with Windows software running.  Most of my software is Windows-only based software that I ran on my old PC for AV control and configuration.  All of that software seems to run just as well as it did on my PC, or on my Intel Mac.

I also just recently installed some software for MS Hololens, that I needed to update some Hololenses.  That actually worked better on this UTM VM than my old Intel VMware Fusion VM.

The problem I seem to keep running into with VMware Player, I can't adjust display resolution and it will not connect to my network via my laptop's wireless card.  So I am sticking to using my UTM VM and not going back to VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The network problem is solvable, and the resolution can be adjusted from inside the guest.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@jhuertaNU1996 wrote:.

The problem I seem to keep running into with VMware Player, I can't adjust display resolution and it will not connect to my network via my laptop's wireless card.  So I am sticking to using my UTM VM and not going back to VMware Fusion.

I’m assuming you’re running Windows 11 ARM. If so, did you install both the display and network drivers provided by Fusion for Windows 11 ARM? Display resolution can then be changed from within the guest, and the network should be able to be configured in the guest as a wired network. (Your WIFi network should then be able to be used from either NAT or bridged virtual network settings). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Technogeezer wrote:

@RDPetruska  I agree to an extent. Apple provided Rosetta to bridge the gap, but you had to dig into developer documentation to find out where the edge cases were. 

Where I disagree is that Apple is under no obligation to tell you how well a third party’s software will run on Apple Silicon - or if it will run at all. That’s the software vendor’s responsibility. 

Microsoft is no better than Apple when trying to figure out what Intel Windows applications will run on Windows 11 ARM from what I’m seeing. 

No, I believe that if a hardware company is making MAJOR changes to their hardware, they have an obligation to inform their customers exactly WHAT is changing and HOW that will impact them!  If I'm in a store and a salesperson is trying to sell me the latest and greatest product - the main question they should be answering for me is "Why is this such a great product versus your competitor's?" - i.e. "Why should I buy this product?"  And part of the obligation of that salesperson is to inform the potential customer of both the pros AND the cons of said product.  And all I've ever seen of the hype and advertisement of this new Apple Silicon chip technology product is the pros - it's so much faster, more energy efficient, etc.  Shame on Apple for not also keeping the customers and potential customers of the negatives.  But again, as I've said numerous times in the past, that's the Apple way... get customers and keep them by holding them hostage.

I feel that Apple did a much better job of this when they switched from Motorola/PowerPC architecture to Intel/x86 architecture.

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I keep trying to run the updated VMware Tools but it doesn't even begin the process.  I believe that is why I am having issues with the resolution and not allowing for me to share my Mac bridged or NAT wireless or wired network.

And yes, I did install Windows 11 ARM.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Unlike Intel Windows, you have to drop into Powershell to install those drivers manually on Windows 11 ARM. There’s no setup.exe that runs automatically when the tools ISO mounts in the guest. 

• From the Fusion UI, choose to install VMware Tools.
  • Run Powershell as an administrator in the guest 
  • change directory to the D drive where the “tools” ISO has been mounted
  • run the following 2 commands:
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
.\setup.ps1

- Paul (Technogeezer)
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

Kool, thanks for that.  I was wondering why the setup was a Powershell and not a .exe.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Check out his unofficial guide in the documents section of the production fusion forum...really great step by step instructions on how to get it going.

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

dlhotka, was there supposed to be a link?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon guide can be found here in the VMware Fusion Documents section of the VMware Fusion forum:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a bunch.  This is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@RDPetruska wrote:

No, I believe that if a hardware company is making MAJOR changes to their hardware, they have an obligation to inform their customers exactly WHAT is changing and HOW that will impact them!  If I'm in a store and a salesperson is trying to sell me the latest and greatest product - the main question they should be answering for me is "Why is this such a great product versus your competitor's?" - i.e. "Why should I buy this product?"  And part of the obligation of that salesperson is to inform the potential customer of both the pros AND the cons of said product.  I feel that Apple did a much better job of this when they switched from Motorola/PowerPC architecture to Intel/x86 architecture.

We differ in opinion and perspectives, and that's OK. I come from a non-Apple sales support technical background. From what I learned in a 40+ year career, the quickest way to throw monkey wrenches in a deal is to get into a feature comparison or "why are you better than your competition" discussion. We were taught to focus on the user's needs, and explain how our solution met them. That's the attitude I've taken in the documents that I've written in this forum for community consumption.

Apple IMO did a good job in masking over the differences in architectures with Rosetta 2 so that they did not have very many exceptions or need for lengthy explanations to a majority of their customers. Most users therefore are unaware that Apple changed the brains of the Mac as it doesn't matter to them. But as you say, there are some corner cases where the change matters. And I agree that Apple could have been more transparent on that.

However, we're somewhat caught between rock and a hard place here if Apple did provide that level of transparency. On one hand, the places where this matter require an explanation that assumes the reader to understand some technical detail. On the other we have customers that don't have the background to understand the technical detail.

Reality says no operating system or hardware vendor tests out every application to make sure they run when changes occur. That falls back on the software vendor. That's one of the reasons that Apple provided Apple Silicon development kits, software betas and developer support.

To me, the disclaimer from Apple should have been "most applications will run without issue under Rosetta 2. There are applications that do x y and z where Rosetta won't work for you. Please check with your software vendor to ensure that applications that run on Intel Macs will work on Apple Silicon Macs as we do not test every application for compatibility with Apple Silicon Macs.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

To be fair, they did widely acknowledge that windows on Mac was up to Microsoft. Officially that hasn't changed.

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome!  I re-created my VM following the instructions in that PDF, and all is working great so far.  I just need to test some audio config software, and some AV control software and I should be good to go.

Thanks again for the link.

0 Kudos
jvictoriano
Contributor
Contributor

I recently upgraded my VMware Fusion app to Professional Version 13.0.2, however, I'm unable to open my VMs due to this error:

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 1.35.09 PM.png

I have an Apple MacBook Pro with an M2 chip. Am I using the wrong version of VMware Fusion? How do I resolve this error?

0 Kudos