VMware Communities
DJBROOK
Contributor
Contributor

Just spent £200 on Vmware Fusion - why can't I use it (or Windows) on my new 2022 iMac?

I just purchased the new 2022 iMac. Can anyone tell me why I cannot use fusion and keep getting the following error:

"This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host."

I even downloaded the technical preview version, too - and that doesn't work either.

On top of that, Ive tried Windows 10 (64-bit & 32 bit) and Windows 8 (64 & 32) - none of these work. Incredibly frustrating...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The short answer is because of the Apple processor: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005196

Only the Tech Preview works on a Mac with the M1 processor, you should note that only VMs running ARM-based OSes will work, not x86-based OSes.

This is the area of VMTN for the Fusion Tech Preview: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/ct-p/3022

I’ve reported your thread so moderators will move it there too.

The testing guide in that area of VMTN is worth a read, plus there’s an unofficial guide in the documents area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You will never be able to run Windows 10 or Windows 8 on an M1 Mac.  If you need those guests, you'll need to buy an Intel mac.  

The tech preview can run ARM64 based guests - essentially Linux.  There is no support for running Windows ARM in Fusion due to Microsoft licensing issues, but if you search the forum, there are theads where people have gotten it running with limitations.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I responded to @DJBROOK in another thread on the same question. 

You might want to read document Running Fusion and upgrading from an Intel Mac to an M1 Mac? Read this first.     It has a more complete discussion on why you are seeing this issue.

Then ask for a refund on that £200 purchase. Fusion 12 will not work on your hardware.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Couple off additional points, and I know it doesn't help much after the fact (but we're happy to give you a refund...)

a) Fusion is free for personal use: https://www.vmware.com/go/get-fusionplayer 
b) Fusion has a trial key built in... you can install it and test before buying

Expect us to ship more formal Apple silicon support later this year.
Windows still remains in question as to how much we can support it, but it's something we're working on.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Thanks Mike...fingers, toes, and eyes crossed!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero wrote:

Expect us to ship more formal Apple silicon support later this year.
Windows still remains in question as to how much we can support it, but it's something we're working on.

I don't think I'm alone in hoping that "later this year" doesn't mean that VMware waits until after Apple ships "Death Valley" (or whatever California landmark they're going to call the next macOS release) or at VMworld  to update Fusion for Apple Silicon.

And yes, I know VMware doesn't comment on future releases. I'm just hoping here...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos