VMware Communities
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Introducing - The unofficial Tips and Techniques for 22H2 Tech Preview on Apple Silicon

For your reading pleasure - I've posted the first revision of the unofficial Tips and Techniques document for the Tech Preview 22H2 on Apple Silicon. This is the long-awaited sequel to the document first published for the 21H1 Tech Preview version.

Well... maybe not long-awaited.

You can find the document here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Tips-and-Techniques-for-the-Apple-Silicon...

Comments and corrections are gratefully accepted.          

cat flames > /dev/null

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
22 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Very well done.. that must have taken a lot of time to write and update to the 22H2 version!

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you, @wila .

Yes, it was a fair amount of work to rebase this document for the 22H2 Tech Preview, but thankfully there really are only a handful of issues that have surfaced so far. It also gave me a chance to check my collection of existing VMs and collection of various Linux installers and see how well they would work on the new release.

Being retired does give you chance to play around with this stuff more than others that have their day jobs to think about. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Version 2 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques for 22H2 Tech Preview has just been published.

This version contains oodles of new information including

• How to get an Ubuntu VM running on the Tech Preview
  • An alternate installation procedure for Windows 11 that injects the VMware Tools into the VM earlier in the installation process. This eliminates the need to disable the OOBE networking checks because the network driver will be installed before Setup begins.
  • A workaround for issues encountered with a brand-new Kali Linux installation.
  • The discussion of Red Hat Enterprise Linux has notes RHEL 9 compatible and downstream releases such as Rocky Linux and Oracle Linux.

Enjoy!

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

We need to make this a sticky in the forum.  Or I may just make a keyboard macro with the link 😉

Seriously, well done!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The one thing these forums seem to lack is the concept of sticky posts always visible at the top of the discussions. What's also missing is a parma-link to say what users should include when they're asking a question, as well as a link to the Terms of Service (so people don't get upset when we note that certain topics are out of scope here).

Unless I'm missing something....

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

The previous forum software (jive) had space for popular documents on the "Overview" page of the product area.
That was pretty nice. Not really kept up-to-date, but nice.

wila_0-1659688653064.png

( http://web.archive.org/web/20190705233542/https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/fusion/overv... )

That was one of the many things we lost when moving over to the current forum platform (Khoros).
I think all (or at least most) of those documents still exist in the documents area.
But who's going to find them there?
They are not organized and besides that.. the documents area itself is not easy to find by users.
Yes, there's a link, but no.. who reads everything on a page anyways.

It also had the "How-to ask (and answer) a question doc" (by former VMware employee Eric Tung, he wrote a lot of those docs, now all his docs are written by " ")

Jive had plenty of issues, but Khoros is .. well let's say it was part of my motivation to step down as a user moderator. It's not a great platform for users, for moderators its even less so.

It does however support sticky posts. (yay) But you'll have to ask one of the forum owners to add it as a sticky (I guess that would be @Mikero ). That's not a thing that user moderators would do.

For "terms of service", click at the bottom of the page on "Term of Use" then skim that a bit until you see "community participation terms of use".

Anyhow... you did a fantastic job on the doc.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm pretty sure it's going to involve some manual HTML editing (which is fine, I did the existing "sub-community" [i.e. everything within Desktop Hypervisor] site by hand basically).

I set this thread to 'Featured' which I presume is the Khoros equiv of Sticky, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

So I'll have to check with the VMTN team and see what HTML elements I'll need to embed to get a feed of 'Featured' posts.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Version 3 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques for 22H2 Tech Preview has just been published.

Changes in this revision

• Inclusion of a direct link to download Ubuntu Server 20.04.4 LTS arm64 installation ISO, because Canonical doesn't seem to want to make it easy to find.
  • A discussion of installing Windows 11 from the Insider Preview VHDX that helps overcome difficulties some posters are having.

As always, the document can be found here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Tips-and-Techniques-for-the-Apple-Silicon...

Reviewing this document  may save you time and frustration for commonly observed issues.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Once again, thanks to everyone for putting feedback into the forum that can be summarized in the Tips and Techniques document. It's been so successful that it's time for a version 4 of the document - just published.

Version 4 change summary:

• info on a potential workaround to audio problems 
  • addition of a procedure to install OpenSUSE Leap 15.4
  • Adding a tip on modifying the Ubuntu boot process so the GRUB boot menu always appears (very useful)
  • Updated procedure to upgrade Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS to the recently released 22.04.1 LTS
  • Warnings on attempting to install a Ubuntu 5.19.x mainline kernel on 20.04.4 LTS
- Paul (Technogeezer)
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's been a slow couple of weeks, but version 5 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide. has just been published. Not much has changed, but there is one important change for Debian 11 users.

Version 5 change summary

• Updated procedure for installing a Debian 11 bullseye-backport kernel that fixes an error during installation of the kernel (thanks @toce for finding this)

- Paul (Technogeezer)
AgentaNonGrata
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone tried getting copy-paste working with macos + W11 arm GOS ?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's no tools support - no way to do so until that happens.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The  unofficial Tips and Techniques document does not repeat content that's available in the Tech Preview Testing Guide. The two documents are designed to be used together, and you're highly encouraged to read both of them before using the 22H2 Tech Preview.

It is quite clearly spelled out on page 4 of the Tech Preview Testing Guide that copy/paste/drag/drop is not supported with the VMware Tools for Windows 11 ARM running on Apple Silicon..

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@AgentaNonGrata wrote:

Anyone tried getting copy-paste working with macos + W11 arm GOS ?

Not using VMware Tools, but if your Windows 11 arm has support for remote desktop then you could use the clipboard features from that after logging in via remote desktop as a workaround.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Version 6 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques document is hot off the presses and available here:

There are some very important changes in this revision due to the recent availability of Ubuntu 22.10 daily builds that work on the Tech Preview, and important changes to uupdump.net for building Windows 11 ISO media

• Notes on Ubuntu 22.10 daily builds dated 2022-09-08 or later that will now boot on the Tech Preview
  • New guidance on how to build Windows 11 ISOs from uupdump.net..
  • IMPORTANT: Building Windows 11 ISOs from uupdump.net on platforms other than Windows is no longer recommended.
  • Warning about the need to install Homebrew on macOS before attempting to convert the Windows Insider VHDX download.
- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
jnauer
Contributor
Contributor

Update for the inevitable Next Version: I have installed Fedora 37 Beta (Server Edition, because that's how I roll), and it worked just fine with no work-arounds required. Installer booted in default GUI mode, but the text console was visible if you press 'Esc' while it is booting. The working version of the 'vmwgfx' driver seems to be included.  I was able to install & run the xfce desktop (except no working audio, as expected).

So, for the next version, the Fedora section can probably be updated to point users to version 37 (beta or final) instead of "Rawhide".

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks @jnauerfor the report.  I’ll make sure it gets into the next update. 

FYI - I installed the beta workstation edition and I'm finding the same as you. It installs fine - and even lets you enable 3D support. It also seems to come with an acceptable version of Mesa that will allow OpenGL to be accelerated

The draft of the next version is updated. I'm waiting until after Tuesday Sep 20 to publish it unless something urgent passes by. There are rumors out there that Microsoft is releasing Windows 11 22H2 on that day. Checking to see if if that's true and how smoothly the update goes.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Version 7 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide found here has just been published. 

Changes in this revision

• The recently released Fedora 37 beta is noted as installing on the Tech Preview with no issues.
  • Instructions on installing Fedora 35/36 have been updated to address a software update failure after the initial installation. The issue is a Fedora issue not related to the Tech Preview, but it prevents necessary Fedora updates from being installed.
- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's been a busy week for the Tech Preview. With a new Windows 11 version hitting the streets, Ubuntu getting its act together on kernels that will work with the Tech Preview, and a new release of the Tech Preview, there've been quite a few changes to digest.

Hence, the need for another update to the Tech Preview guide to version 8, which can be found here

Changes in version 8:

• References are made to the updated September 2022 version of the Tech Preview and its associated Testing Guide.
  • The workaround in the guide for a "Failure to initialize the TPM device" error when Rosetta is not installed has been changed.  This issue is fixed in the latest September 2022 update to the Tech Preview.
  • Ubuntu 22.04.1 daily development builds now have a kernel that works on the Tech Preview. It is no longer necessary to install 20.04.4 LTS and upgrade with a mainline kernel to obtain a working 22.04.1 virtual machine.
  • Upgrades from Ubuntu 20.04.4 to 22.04.1 now work out of the box, and no longer require a specialized procedure. 
  • The recommendation in this document is now to use the Windows 11 22H2 22621.521 Retail build sourced from uupdump.net for new Windows 11 virtual machines. The instructions for obtaining builds from uupdump.net have been changed to reflect this guidance. (If you really insist on using another build, I'm sorry but those instructions on how to use uupdump.net to do so have been removed from this document. I'm trying to keep it simple for the majority of users).
  • Instructions on how to build ISOs from uupdump.net on macOS have been removed from this document as they are obsolete and don't work any more.

Have fun storming the castle!

- Paul (Technogeezer)