VMware Communities
Student_89
Contributor
Contributor

Installation of Linux on Tech Preview seems frozen

Hello all
I just wanted to set up a Debian machine (version 11.3.0) with the Tech Preview for the Apple Silicon M1. However, after selecting the installer, it seems like the machine is frozen. There is only a small white line. I have also tried other Linux distributions that are ARM based (e.g. Ubuntu Server) but the same. After selecting the installer, the screen remains dark.

What I have already tried:
- Checked for update --> Current version e.x.p (19431034) is already installed.
- Uninstalled and installed again --> The same situation
- Tried to install other Linux distributions --> Also dark screen in the VM.

Maybe someone from the community already had this situation.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

This most certainly looks familiar, and you're not going to like the answer.

Debian updated their distribution last week to 11.3. Most likely it includes a kernel that has the security fixes that are causing problems booting on the Tech Preview. If so, then there's nothing you can do except try to find a Debian 11.2 disk. Even then, beware if the installer tries to update the packages to the latest released version. 

We're still awaiting VMware's response to this so we can get back to testing. 

Distros across the board are updating their kernels to include the security fixes that are giving us fits. It's not surprising that you're seeing the issues on other distros.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Student_89
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Technogeezer

Thank you for the quick reply. That means I will wait for a new update from Vmware before I try to install Linux again

0 Kudos