VMware Communities
Hawaiian_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

Install a new build of Windows now

I've been running Fusion 22H2 with Windows 11 installed for about 6 weeks now. I started getting prompts to install a new build of windows after a couple of weeks. Is it necessary or recommended to up date the Windows installation every time they come out with a new build?

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What build of Windows 11 are you using (drop into a Windows command prompt and execute  'winver').

If you are running dev channel releases of Windows 11, yes, they expire, and you are prompted to install a newer build. From what I understand there is a grace period but eventually the build may stop working.

I recommend using either a Windows 11 Release Preview channel build or the Retail build as opposed to a Dev or Beta channel build. Neither of these have this issue. If you are already running a Windows 11 VM, you might want to use uupdump to download the latest Windows 11 22H2 retail build ISO and upgrade to it.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Hawaiian_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

I am running version 22H2 (OS Build 22598.1) evaluation copy expires 2022-09-15. I followed a tutorial that linked me to this version, I was under the impression that this was the version I had to use to install on the M1 Macs using VMware.

I'll install the new build and see how that goes.

Thanks for your input, I'm learning as I go here so it is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Hawaiian_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

Just looking here and I am on the Release Preview channel

0 Kudos
Hawaiian_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

Just looking here and I am on the Release Preview channel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You do not need to install an Insider Preview release on the Tech Preview. You can use a Retail (aka officially released, aka Generally Available aka "stable" release). It's just that for less technical people, the Insider Preview VHDX file is more attractive. But as you've found there are strings attached to those releases. 

Yes, you are on a Release Preview build but not the Release Preview channel. 22591.1 is a Dev Channel release

The Windows Insider program has 3 types of builds available, and all are pre-release builds with varying degrees of supportability (that is, if you are running on a Microsoft supported platform...)

Here's a cheat sheet to what they are from https://insider.windows.com/en-us/preview-windows :

Technogeezer_0-1664310968623.png

Unfortunately the Windows on ARM Insider Preview VHDX files are either Beta Channel or Dev Channel. They used to provide Release Preview channel versions (which are "early access" versions and closest to what will really be released in an upcoming version of Windows) but no longer do.

Dev channel builds are IMO the worst choice of the three as they may not upgrade easily. Microsoft recommends that the Beta or Release Preview channels are more appropriate due to their stability.

Since Windows 11 on ARM is technically flagged as an unsupported platform by Microsoft, the Insider Program may not have options that will allow you to upgrade Dev Channel builds and keep your files, apps, and settings. You may be forced into doing a clean install.

From experience, this is why I have decided to "bite the bullet" and only use Retail or Release Preview channel build ISOs sourced from uupdump.net. I'm through having to deal with the disruptions of having to upgrade Windows Insider Beta or Dev Channel releases. My Retail build Windows 11 updates itself nicely through Windows Update as it should.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I did the same thing and switched to the release channel.  

Might be worth updating your unofficial guide with the UU recommendation.  Folks should steer away from the dev stuff unless they know what they're doing.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot You read my mind. Version 8 of the unofficial Tips and Techniques guide (just published) contains this recommendation as well as detailed walk-through on how to obtain and build the 22H2 retail build ISO from uupdump.net.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Hawaiian_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

I've created a new virtual machine using the retail version as you've suggested. Your documents were a great help too. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
btechit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just run the update...it will give you the new bits.  or don't if you don't want them

0 Kudos
btechit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

or just run windows updates. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's a bit complicated to change release channels from what I can tell, because of the 'unsupported hardware' situation.  For most folks, starting out with a retail channel build is going to be the best option.  Once you do that, at least so far, you're right - windows updat ejust works.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The Dev channel builds are the most problematic. They expire and are not tied to upcoming releases. . If you must do one of the Insider builds, I’d recommend Release Preview first (from ISO). If you want the Insider Preview VHDX build, use the Beta Channel.

I’m still of the view though of using the Retail builds whenever possible. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

How to know release preview channel ISO is ARM compatible? Can it be downloaded in MBA M1 2020 Monterey12.6?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The name of the ISO typically tells you if it’s an x86_64/x64 (Intel) or arm64 (ARM) architecture build. Only the arm64 architecture builds run on the Tech Preview on Apple Silicon.

If you are thinking about using a Release Preview Channel ISO, you might as well go for the Windows 11 22H2 22621.521 Retail build. There is ZERO need to run the Release Preview Channel builds as the Retail build is available from  uupdump.net.

clarification:

uupdump.net will also tell you if the build you are selecting is for amd64 (Intel x86_64) or arm64 (ARM) architectures. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

That means ISO still needs to be downloaded from uupdump. Thanks Technogeezer.

0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

That means ISO still needs to be downloaded from uupdump. Can it be done from MACOS or from windows 11 VM I have already? Thanks Technogeezer.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Short answer: build it on Windows.

Longer answer:

uupdump.net warns that the ISOs of Windows 11 22H2 must be created on Windows 10 version 2004 or later (that include Windows 11). Windows can be running on either Intel or ARM architectures, and either on physical or virtual machines.

Trying to use the scripts to build the ISO on macOS or Linux will result in a broken ISO.

You can still select the desired build and download the scripts from uupdump.net on any platform, but the resulting .zip file must be transferred to Windows for extract and execution.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is that new?    

The part that slipstreams the new bits into the release doesn't work, but I was able to build the base ISO on my mac last month.

0 Kudos
LVGandhi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Technogeezer. Last time I built ISO in my MBA 2020 M1. It worked. It is now updated. Current version is 22621.521. Henceforth I will build it in VM. 

0 Kudos