VMware Communities
Awerty16
Contributor
Contributor

How to Install windows?

How do I install windows? It keeps saying Start PXE over IPv4. Also I got the ISO from the widnows website. Does it have to be something else?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What ISO did you get and what “Windows site” did you get it from? The tech preview only runs operating systems for ARM architectures which means that ISOs designed for installation on Intel PCs won’t work. 

The usual advice to obtain a copy of Windows for ARM is to sign up for the Windows Insider program . That will allow you to download an Insider Preview for Windows for ARM that can run on the Fusion Tech Preview. Search this forum for more advice on the steps you have to,go through to get it working. 

Also note that  neither Microsoft nor VMware supports Windows on Apple M1 processors. No VMware tools support. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Awerty16
Contributor
Contributor

From the official one of Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Just because you downloaded it from an “official Microsoft site” does not mean it’s usable on ARM CPUs like Apple Silicon. Can you tell from the file name if it’s designed for Intel (has x86 in the file name).?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Awerty16
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Ok. I now understand what you have, thanks.

This link downloads a HyperV VHDX virtual disk file for the Windows for ARM Insider Preview release. In order to use this with Fusion, you must convert it to a VMware VMDK format, then attach the resulting VMDK virtual disk to a manually created virtual machine. It will boot once you do that.

I suggest you review the thread VMware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows as there are a lot of helpful hints and recommendations for conversion tools that will help you get this working. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos