VMware Communities
ListHead
Contributor
Contributor

Higher Graphics resolution using ubuntu 20.04.05 with 5.4.0-131-generic kernel

Using the latest tech preview.  Installed on Mac 0S Ventura 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro (m1)

It's not clear to me in the tips and tricks or testing guide the steps necessary to get a higher graphics resolution.  Certainly don't think vmwgfx is running.

Any hints?

(I have read the hints and searched this forum)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The 5.4 kernel does not have a vmwgfx driver that will allow the dynamic resizing of the console resolution. You can verify this by opening a terminal session and issuing the following:

lsmod | grep vmwgfx

The string 'vmwgfx' should not be found, indicating the lack of the driver.

The text console in general can't be resized - this is an across-the-board behavior with Linux. If you install a graphical desktop, it still will not resize the console because of the kernel driver issue.

While Ubuntu Server does have the 5.4 kernel, 'm finding that the latest daily build of 20.04.5 desktop contains a 5.15 kernel that does appear to have a vmwgfx driver. It will allow the resolution to be resized from within the VM, but not by resizing the window in macOS. The issue as well is that unofficial (mainline)  kernels that do contain a suitable vmwgfx driver won't install on 20.04.x due to package dependencies that aren't met by 20.04.x. 

Suggestions that I have:

• Upgrade to 22.04.1. It's now getting a 5.15 kernel that does have a vmwgfx driver. It too will change resolution from within the VM, but not by resizing the console window from macOS.
  • Perform a custom configuration of GRUB on 20.04.5 similar to that found for RHEL 9 in the Tips and Techniques guide. That should give you a larger fixed resolution console, albeit with no graphics acceleration.
  • You might be able to experiment with an older 5.15 through 5.18 mainline kernels, but some of those had issues on the 22H2 Tech Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos