VMware Communities
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

Has import from Parallels been fixed yet in the Apple Silicon tech preview?

I just installed the latest tech preview (21H1) for the first time and attempted to import the first of three Parallels VMs (One Windows - two Linux), and got the dreaded...

This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture...

I really don't want to reinstall three VMs.  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The import of virtual machines (either Parallels virtual machines or .ova/.ovf virtual appliances) is (still) not supported with the latest version of the Tech Preview.

Where did these VMs originate? Either the error message is a "red herring" due to the lack of import support, or did these VMs actually come from an Intel Mac?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That error message usually means it's an intel guest, which won't run (and will never run) on an M1 mac.  If you need intel guests, you'll need to run an intel machine.  Otherwise, you'll have to build new ARM guests per the preview guide.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There is the potential alternative of running Intel "VMs" using QEMU (or its derivative UTM) which emulates an Intel chip. You'd have to investigate converting them from VMware or Parallels virtual machine formats. Your mileage may vary on performance and available functionality.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

These are ARM VMs that have been running for a year in Parallels on a M1 MacBook Air.

0 Kudos
JoeBaglio
Contributor
Contributor

They're not x86 VMs!   See my reply to Technogeezer.  These are ARM VMs that have been running in Parallels on a M1 MacBook Air.  Maybe, I should have been more specific.

My Parallels "subscription" expires on 21-April and will cost $85 USD to renew for another year. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@JoeBaglio - thanks for the clarification. Sure looks like it's a the "red herring" error.

Unfortunately it looks like the timing of VMware releases isn't quite there for you. VMware is making noises about an updated tech preview "about the beginning of the summer" and "a release later this year". It's not certain when or if VM import/conversion will be in either release, but I'd guess they'd almost have to have something in place for a production release.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos