VMware Communities
Naif1
Contributor
Contributor

GNS3 VM not runs in fusion 22h2 tech Preview !!

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to run GNS3 vm on top of fusion 22h2 tech preview on macOS M1 and it fails to start and I got this error

This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host. "

is there a solution for this problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeorgeH67
Contributor
Contributor

The Apple M1 processor is an ARM processor.  You're trying to run the Intel version of Windows.  It can't be done.  You'll need to install an ARM version of Windows.  Once that's done, Windows should be able to run X86 applications inside the VM.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the Fusion Tech Preview area, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Believe the error message.

There are problems with trying to run GNS3 under Fusion on an Apple Silicon processor.

• The GNS3 VM needs an Intel x86_64 CPU. Your Mac does not have an Intel processor. They don’t have a version that runs on Apple Silicon (which is an ARM architecture CPU). 
  • Fusion on Apple Silicon does not emulate an Intel processor that would allow an Intel-based virtual machine to run. Rosetta does not fix this (it's for applications only and does not support virtualization). Parallels doesn’t do this either. 
  • Even if you could get an ARM architecture version of a GNS3 VM, GNS3 relies on nested virtualization. That's not supported on M1/M2 Macs  (apple hypervisor and hardware restriction). Not on Parallels either.

Sorry but you're going to either need a Mac or a PC with an Intel processor to run a GNS 3 VM. . Or else check the web and see if you can get the GNS3 VM to run under UTM or QEMU - but beware. These products emulate Intel processors, so performance and stability may not be what you'd expect or want. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos