VMware Communities
Parrot60
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion on Mac M1

All,

I just purchased a Mac M1 running Monterey. I had VMware Fusion running on my old Mac without issue. When I migrated to this new Mac I also upgraded Fusion to 12.2.1. When I launch Fusion I'm receiving this error "No permission to perform this operation".  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Denny

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 12.x does not run on Apple Silicon Macs (M1, etc). It requires an Intel Mac.

There is a Fusion Tech Preview release that does work on the M1 Macs. It will not run VMs created on Intel platforms. The Tech Preview only runs arm64 architecture operating systems.  

Virtualization solutions linke VMware, Parallels, VirtualBox do not provide emulation of another chip architecture’s instruction set.  Rosetta, while good for applications, does not provide what a cross-platform virtualization would need. 

(And Parallels doesn’t fix that little issue of Intel VMs running on M1 either…)

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Parrot60
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I dowloaded the VMware-Fusion-e.x.p-18656771_arm64.dmg file but when I try the install I'm still receiving the error "No permission tp perform this operation." Is this any info available on how to install?

Denny 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Did you fully uninstall the old Fusion release before trying the Tech Preview install? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And build a new VM for an ARM based OS?

0 Kudos