VMware Communities
dcmha
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion issue

I have a new Macbook Air that I migrated all data from old Air.  VM wouldn't work so I upgraded.  Still won't work.  Has error message of 

This version of VMware Fusion is for Intel-based Macs, but is being run on an Apple silicon based Mac via Rosetta-2.

and

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

What do I need to do to get this working?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I’ve reported your thread so a moderator can move it to an area for Fusion.

Only this Tech Preview version of Fusion works on the M1 Macs: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/ct-p/3022

Note that it only runs VMs/OSes for ARM processors, not Intel/AMD processors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dcmha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I did get that version and now I have a different error message:

This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You've likely missed Scott's second note: "Note that it only runs VMs/OSes for ARM processors, not Intel/AMD processors."

André

0 Kudos
dcmha
Contributor
Contributor

I did see it but I have no idea what it means.  I have all my financials in Simply and no way to access them, the old laptop has been cleaned off.  I'm freaking out a little bit TBH, not sure if this means I can't run fusion on this laptop.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@dcmha wrote:

not sure if this means I can't run fusion on this laptop.

You can run Fusion (at least the version for Apple Silicon, linked from this sub-forum).  Fusion is akin to Microsoft Word.

You cannot run Intel-compatible (x86/x86-64) Operating System virtual machines with this version of Fusion on your M1 computer.  So if your files are in an existing VM which ran under Fusion on an older Mac, you cannot run that VM.  Your best bet is to mount the virtual disk to a host computer and copy the files from it.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the OS inside your VM is something like an x86-based version of Windows 10, it will not work in Fusion on an M1 Mac.

That’s the bottom line.

You either need an Intel Mac OR a version of the application/OS/VM that works on an ARM processor like the M1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
dcmha
Contributor
Contributor

I am a bit lost, will I ever be able to import the Simply Files from the older VM into the newer one?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What OS does the application software run on inside the VM?

Is the application software compatible with any other OSes?

0 Kudos
dcmha
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure, where can I find out the information?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What OS did the VM boot to when it was working on your other Mac? Some version of Windows?

Can you still run Fusion and the VM on your other Mac?

Where did you download the software from originally?

What is the software company’s website?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@dcmha Can you answer two quick questions?

• What operating system did that virtual machine boot into when you started it on your old MacBook Air? Was it some flavor of Windows (Windows XP? Windows 7? Windows 10?).
  • What is the exact name of the application that you used on that virtual machine? My search found a "Simply money" on Windows that's available from the Microsoft Store, but that might not be the one you're talking about.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos