VMware Communities
smgoosen
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion VMs on M1

I have an Apple MacBook w/ M1 chip. I've downloaded the Fusion Tech Preview package. I'm trying to start a VM from my previous (Intel) Fusion 11 installation. The VM is powered off and I've gone to settings->compatibility where it says I'm using hardware version 19, but when I try to start the VM is says "This virtual machine cannot be powered on because is required the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with the Arm machine architecture host." Is there anything I can do run my existing VM on the Tech Preview version of Fusion on my M1 Mac?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No, there is not.  Your previous virtual machine OS's are all programmed using x86 CPU chipset.  VMware is virtualization software, which means it presents the host computer's CPU as is to the guest.  You would need emulation software, which pretends to be a different CPU.  Technogeezer has written up a very good document here about using the Tech Preview for Apple Silicon, what works and what doesn't.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Here's a link to the document that @RDPetruska mentioned

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/Running-Fusion-and-upgrading-from-an-Intel...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos