VMware Communities
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fedora 35 warning

I decided to try Fedora Workstation 35 today. (I've already been using Ubuntu 21.10 during the private preview.)

After downloading the ISO and booting, I ended up with a black screen (except for the Fedora logo at the bottom). I was able to ping the VM so I could tell it was alive. I then noticed that Fedora 35 is already running a 5.14 kernel. So, when it booted the live CD, it booted with VMware's graphics driver and Wayland enabled which is a no-go.

I rebooted and selected Troubleshooting from the boot menu. This offered a single option to install using the basic graphics driver. I selected that and and the desktop appeared.

So, here's what you need to do to make sure Fedora 35 will be functional.

After installing Fedora to the hard drive, switch back to "Try Fedora Live" to get back to the desktop. Launch the Terminal so you can disable Wayland before rebooting. As you're still running from the live CD, the location of the configuration file is slightly different. To be exact, use the command line

sudo nano /mnt/sysroot/etc/gdm/custom.conf

You can then reboot and Fedora will be operational.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
6 Replies
xarbit
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, that is exactly what I ran in to this morning! 

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is all spelled out in big, bold, oversized-font text in the Testing Guide 😉

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the Testing Guide warns that you need to disable Wayland before rebooting with the 5.14 kernel.

But, the problem here is that the Fedora 35 Live CD is now using the 5.14 kernel. You have to go through extra steps to successfully boot the CD and install Fedora. And, you have to edit the config file before rebooting from the hard drive or you'll lose.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

oh fun... I'll give a go to confirm and update the testing guide then. 

FWIW, I give the graphics team a hard time about this almost daily 😉

-
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

And BTW, thanks for posting this! I'm sure it will help a lot of users who might not catch the Testing guide at first!

-
rautenkranzmt
Contributor
Contributor

Alternatively, instead of booting the LiveCD (especially if, say, you are using the server netinstall image or some other image without live capabilties), you can simply boot the installed system to console login by editing a single boot option.

Step 1: press e at the grub screen to edit the boot option.

Step 2: Add the number 3 to the end of the linux line.

Step 3: Login at the console login screen, and use sudo to edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment WaylandEnable=false line.

0 Kudos